DRA is looking for a Programme Manager for the DRA Resource Center in Sloviansk (Donetsk oblast), opening in September 2019.
DRA is looking for a Programme Manager for their DRA Resource Center in Slоviansk (Donetsk oblast), opening in September 2019. The appointment will be from 1 September 2019 until 31 August 2020 with a possibility of multi-year extension, depending on available further project funding. A full-time commitment (40h/week) is preferred.
Background: The civil society in Eastern Ukraine is in a state of flux since the outbreak of the ongoing conflict in this region in 2014. DRA sees active grass-roots networks and well-working horizontal structures in communities as a prerequisite for building a sustainable and democratic society. The DRA Resource Center received funding from the German Federal Foreign office to support active citizens – and particularly young people – in Sloviansk and other cities in the conflict region by providing them with educational and development opportunities, supporting grass-roots initiatives aimed at community development, and by providing international exchange. The Center will facilitate local civil society development by strengthening their capacities, communication and professional exchanges with activists from EU countries and other regions of Ukraine.
The main areas of activity of the Resource Center in Sloviansk will be
- Supporting the efficient and sustainable development of local civic initiatives, their networks and collaborative projects;
- Strengthening the engagement of international civil society actors with the region, including conflict management efforts;
- Organising educational/ volunteer and professional exchanges between civil society and youth from different regions in Ukraine;
- Encouraging public debates on local democracy, and other topics of importance for the local population;
- Contributing to the process of reconciliation;
- Dealing with local and regional history and culture;
- Fostering local human rights work.
The Programme Manager has a key role to play within the small team in supporting the Director of the office with developing and implementing the programmes, projects, and activities of DRA’s projects in East Ukraine. Furthermore, s/he will support the development of an outreach/communications strategy for the office.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of activities and programmes for the Resource Center;
- Support the Director of the office and in line with DRA’s and donors’ procedures;
- with identifying opportunities for development of culture-sensitive programmes and projects, based on local needs and potentials, and in line with long-term strategies of the office;
- with ensuring effective coordination of local implementing partners;
- with programme and activity planning, development, and management;
- with input for narrative donor reports, monitoring and evaluation of project outputs, and with tracking progress towards indicators;
- Facilitate workshops and trainings for local activists;
- Contribute to the development of programme strategies based on responsiveness to the dynamic local environment and on in-depth context awareness of the participating communities;
- Contribute to developing the organization’s fundraising strategy: identification of opportunities for funding, donor research, drafting proposals and supporting project design;
- Communications and Advocacy (10-15%): Pro-actively identify potential media stories, and compelling evidence from the field for fundraising and advocacy purposes;
- Supporting the management of relevant Social Media Channels (Facebook, Instagram);
- Perform other related activities as assigned by the Director;
- 2-4 years previous work experience in a relevant field;
- Experience in programme development, the project management cycle, and with budget management;
- Experience in project work (preferably in the civil society sector and with public funds) and in event management and implementation (seminars, conferences, panel discussions, etc.);
- Profound Microsoft Office – particularly Excel and Power point – skills;
- Experience with CSM and website editing is an asset,
- Experience with international donors; working with German donors is a competitive advantage.
- Ability to be creative and innovative in generating new ideas and concepts;
- An analytical and empathic understanding of local needs;
- Commitment to democracy, civil society development, nonviolence, and the primacy of local actors;
- Excellent communication, social and team-work skills;
- Diligence, independence, initiative, punctuality;
- Reliable and careful handling of numbers, receipts, and documents, documentation;
- Ability to critically assess, and to provide constructive recommendations;
- Ability to manage information with discretion;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in a relevant field (e.g. social sciences, international development, management);
- A proven interest in supporting civil society and in fostering international cooperation;
- Advanced level of English language skills, fluent written and spoken Russian and Ukrainian, German language skills would be an advantage;
- Excellent understanding of local context and culture in East Ukraine (Donetsk and Luhansk Oblast), as well as of relevant civil society stakeholders;
- Experience or knowledge in subject areas of the project (conflict management, international civil society, human rights monitoring) are welcome.
About the organisation: DRA is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Berlin, working since 1992 with the aim of promoting democratic developments in East European countries through cooperation with Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian and other European NGOs, with independent mass media and in cross-sectoral cooperation. The DRA offers youth and other exchange programs in the field of political education, democracy and active citizenship and works to establish links with Western partners. Moreover, the DRA acts as an agency for volunteers between Eastern and Western Europe.
The DRA offers a multi-faceted, flexible and international working environment in a young and dynamic team, a competitive salary, a lot of space for your own ideas. For more information, see: www.austausch.org
Please send your applications (cover letter and CV) as a single PDF document (no larger than 2MB) by 11 August 2019 to email@example.com
Interviews will take place in Slоviansk, Ukraine, in the week from 19 August to 23 August 2019.
Tel: +49(0)30/44 66 80 00