The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that works to strengthen democratic institutions around the world by engaging civil society and promoting openness and accountability in government. NDI has been supporting local democratization efforts in Ukraine since 1992. For more information about NDI, please visit: www.ndi.org
General overview of the position
The National Democratic Institute in Ukraine (NDI Ukraine) seeks a full-time Program Manager / Senior Program Officer, Research, based in Kyiv, Ukraine. The successful candidate will manage all aspects of public opinion research, analyze data and research findings, and use research to advise the program teams on how to design and implement programming in all areas. This position is based in Kyiv, Ukraine. The candidate should be a citizen of Ukraine or have a permanent residence and work permit. The Program Manager / Senior Program Officer reports to the Resident Senior Program Manager, Countering Disinformation and Research.
- Manage the development, implementation, and analysis of all aspects of public opinion research. Engage with NDI/Ukraine staff and partners to design and analyze quantitative and qualitative public opinion research products.
- Prepare research products for internal and external distribution
- Present research products to relevant stakeholders in civil society, government, and the international community.
- Work collaboratively with NDI staff and partners in civil society, parties, and government to suggest improvements and programmatic adjustments based on research findings.
- Contribute to submission of program-related materials, including regular reports that describe activities, measure and evaluate program results, and lessons learned, as well as tell a broader story about impact. Ensure adherence to relevant and applicable policies and procedures and funder/donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions.
- Manage research-related procurement including preparing requests for proposals and statements of work for researchers and research firms, soliciting proposals, and finalizing contracts in accordance with the required procedures;
- Manage and coach the NDI-Ukraine research team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- A minimum three (3) for Senior Program Officer and a minimum five (5) for Program Manager years of practitioner experience in the research field working on public opinion research projects;
- Demonstrated experience with best practices for conducting quantitative and qualitative research.
- Experience with data analysis/statistical software such as SPSS, R or STATA;
- Experience supervising or mentoring junior staff;
- Exceptional political judgment and analytical skills for interpreting complex political environments, as well as identifying and responding to program opportunities. Creativity and flexibility are a must;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals as well as financial, administrative, and security responsibilities;
- Exceptional interpersonal, representational, and negotiation skills as well as cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff from multiple countries, members of donor organizations, funders and policy-makers;
- Demonstrated experience working in a cross-cultural environment; an ability to work in a challenging environment is strongly preferred;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Ukrainian required; and
- Familiarity with Google platform, virtual meeting and webinar technology, and Microsoft Office applications required.
- Experience designing and implementing evidence-based programming will be an advantage;
- Experience in applying innovative research methods and experimental design;
- Knowledge of social media monitoring, data analysis, and visualization techniques;
- Experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience as a participatory trainer, facilitator, and trusted advisor.
NDI Ukraine’s salaries are subject to applicable employment taxes established by the government legislation. Gross salary reflects a 40-hour per week work schedule. Healthcare insurance coverage is available from the first day of employment. The full benefits of local staff members of the NDI-Ukraine office after the probation period include 20 days of paid vacation leave per year, paid sick leaves, and officially observed Ukrainian holidays.
Deadline: The deadline for the submission of the required documents is by close of business on February 25, 2024. Only selected candidates will be invited for a written test and a subsequent interview.
Interested applicants should submit CVs and motivation letters in English by email to the following email address: [email protected]. Please indicate the position (Program Manager / Senior Program Officer, Research) you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
The NDI Ukraine is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic, and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.
The NDI Ukraine is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace, and encourages all applicants, regardless of their abilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
NDI Ukraine has the authority to re-promote the vacancy, terminate the recruitment process, provide an appointment at a lower grade, or offer an appointment with a revised job description or for a different duration.