Chemonics International Inc. is looking for a qualified professionals to fill position of Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager
The Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager is responsible for overseeing and implementing safety and security protocols to ensure the safety of Chemonics personnel, assets, and operations in Ukraine. This role is critical in mitigating risks and ensuring a secure environment for our Chemonics’ activities in Ukraine. This role will support a designated Chemonics-implemented, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project, and its associated activities throughout Ukrainian-controlled territory, to include newly liberated areas and areas significantly damaged by combat action. The Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager will use local networks to support their designated project(s), to include support with route assessments, risk assessments, journey management, risk management, accompaniment for higher risk business travel, and other critical safety and security functions. S/He must have demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication, relevant country experience, liaison activities, as well as a high level of technical expertise in the necessary security concepts and techniques.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager is responsible for the following principal duties and responsibilities:
• Provide regular assessments of the on-the-ground situation in Ukraine to project staff, home office staff, and other stakeholders.
• Provide timely and accurate security guidance to project leaders and other key stakeholders, enabling informed decision-making on project operations. Provide recommendations and support implementation of shifts in posture to response to changing threats and risk levels.
• Oversee journey management procedures to ensure safe and secure travel for staff, visitors, and assets traveling in Ukraine, to include international travel in to and out of the country. Maintain understanding of current movement restrictions, documentation requirements, and any other cross-border movement considerations.
• Develop and update comprehensive emergency action and response plans, tailored to the specific risks and challenges in Ukraine in order to safeguard personnel and minimize the impact of potential crises.
• Conduct security risk assessments to continuously evaluate the threat landscape, informing decision-making and risk mitigation strategies. Advise project leaders on risk mitigation measures and support implementation of said mitigation measures.
• Support Chemonics’ incident and crisis management response efforts in Ukraine or regionally, coordinating responses to security incidents as an on-the-ground incident or crisis management team representative.
• Conduct site security assessments for all physical sites including offices, hotels, residences, event locations, warehouses, and project any other locations for proposed project activities and advise project leadership and other key stakeholders. Recommend risk mitigation measures or other improvements for physical sites, and ensure compliance with Chemonics’ and client safety and security standards.
• Oversee staff accountability measures to ensure adherence to safety and security protocols, including regular checks on compliance and providing necessary training.
• Conduct thorough safety and security briefings for all staff members, contractors, and visitors, keeping them informed about potential risks, safety measures, and standard operating procedures.
• Liaise with local authorities, partner organizations, and security forces to gather critical information, stay informed about security developments, and build a network for effective crisis management.
• Develop and maintain local contacts with other USAID and FCDO implementing partners, UN, NGOs, and Government of Ukraine (GoU) officials, among others, to facilitate better security information sharing.
• Collaborate with the US and other diplomatic security officials in support of project activities and events, as well as general information sharing.
• Stay up-to-date with the latest security trends, techniques, and technologies, ensuring the continuous improvement and adaptation of safety and security measures.
• Supervise all safety and security subcontractor assets, monitor activities, and evaluate performance.
• Perform any other tasks assigned by the Ukraine Security Team Director, project leadership, or their designees consistent with the overall nature of the project.
• University degree in a relevant field or discipline.
• At least 10 years’ experience in security management and oversight roles in high-risk environments.
• Experience working with USAID and/or other international development donor programming and in a multi-cultural environment strongly preferred.
• Proven effectiveness for implementing security platforms for civilian operations in conflict zones, to include successful crisis management experience and management of private security providers.
• Previous experience in advising senior leadership on crisis management; ability to organize program leadership in the field and act as a liaison with home office leadership.
• Experience developing pragmatic risk assessments, supporting operational plans for safe travel and project implementation, as well as support venue risk management requirements.
• Experience with logistical support and supply chain security as well as familiarity with journey management and personnel tracking systems required.
• Proven effectiveness in establishing relevant relationships in complex and high-risk environments.
• Fluency in Ukrainian and English required. Polish and/or Russian are also preferred but not required.
• Strong organizational and work prioritization skills, attention to detail.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective, sustainable relationships with staff, USAID Mission and U.S. government personnel, and the general development and business community.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstrates leadership, versatility, and integrity.
The Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager will report to the appointed project designee, and will receive technical direction from the Ukraine Security Team Director, the Chemonics-Washington Security Management Unit, and other project leaders or their designees.
This position will be based in Kyiv, Ukraine with regular domestic travel, as well as potential international travel to Poland and elsewhere in Eastern Europe as the situation permits.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to [email protected] with Senior Security Operations and Oversight Manager listed in the subject line by September 29, 2023. Candidates must ensure that CV does *not* include a photograph, date of birth, and/or marital status information.
No telephone inquiries, please. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis, and only finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.