DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world. DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is seeking qualified candidates for full-time Technical Translator/Interpreter position to join USAID Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity’s team in Kyiv or other regional HOVERLA office in Ukraine (Poltava, Lutsk, Lviv, Zhytomyr, Rivne, Odesa, Uzhhorod). Interested candidates should submit their application through the following portal:
Applications will be accepted until 31 May 2023. Due to a high volume of applications received, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted in response to this job advertisement.
DAI Global is implementing the USAID-funded Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity, based in Kyiv, Ukraine. This project is designed to support Ukraine advance self-reliant local governance including legislative reforms, participatory strategic planning methodologies, service improvement, local economic development, civil society engagement, and capacity building of sub-national government entities. The Activity has three objectives:
Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
The Technical Translator/Interpreter provides support to the HOVERLA project team by performing project’s written translations in timely manner, and consecutive and simultaneous interpretation. S/he provides support to senior management on various required interpretation and translation. The Technical Translator/Interpreter is based in Kyiv or other regional HOVERLA office in Ukraine (Poltava, Lutsk, Lviv, Zhytomyr, Rivne, Odesa, Uzhhorod) and reports to the Objective 3 Lead.
Objectives and Duties
- • Act as single entrance/exit point of translation requests; translate documents upon request from the Objective 3 Lead.
- • Read and rewrite technical documents in specified language, following established rules pertaining to factors such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
- • Proofread all translated documents.
- • Serve as interpreter at seminars, speeches, meetings, teleconferences, and symposia, providing consecutive or simultaneous translation between languages.
- • Collaborate with Senior Translator/Interpreter and colleagues to compile helpful information, including terms and definitions, into an organized glossary for regular reference during the translation process.
- • Honor outlined ethical codes to ensure sensitive and confidential information remains secure and protected.
- • To input to HOVERLA translated documents data base.
- • Quality control; and participate in the decision-making process regarding outsourcing of the project’s translations.
- • Bachelor’s degree in linguistics, translation, foreign languages, or related area.
- • 5+ years of experience providing professional translation and interpretation service. Public administration, governance and decentralization translation experience is a plus.
- • Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
- • Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- • Strong computer skills (MS Office suite) required.