Legal Expert on Child Protection
for the Child Protection Reform Initiative
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: March 27, 2023
Position: Legal Expert on Child Protection.
Employment Type: full-time, Monday-Friday.
Location: the expert will be based in Kyiv.
Reports to: Team Lead, Sector Lead.
Remuneration: fees are subject to negotiation and must not exceed established market rates.
At Alinea International we value equity, diversity and inclusivity in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Given the nature of our work, candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks and to enhanced background checks as appropriate.
About Alinea International Ltd.:
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 515 projects worldwide.www.alineainternational.com
About the project:
In October 2019, Alinea International launched a new five-year project in Ukraine: Support Ukraine Reforms in Governance (SURGe). SURGe is a technical assistance project in Ukraine, funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented by Alinea International Ltd.
SURGe’s Ultimate Outcome is to help the Government of Ukraine (GoU) to deliver governance and economic reforms that better respond to the needs of its citizens.
To achieve this, the Project will strategically enhance and strengthen the GoU’s reform management functions, namely its capacity to undertake planning and analysis of reforms that consider citizen impact and to implement these reforms.
Reform initiative and position summary:
Through this Reform Initiative, SURGe supports the Government of Ukraine with implementation of the National Strategy of Reforming the Institutional Care and Upbringing of Children for 2017-2026.
To achieve this goal, SURGe Project is looking for Legal Expert who will provide support in the laws and regulations development with regard to child’s rights protection and social services development.
• Advise on the content of or draft legislative and other documents including but not limited to laws, sub-laws (including comparison tables, explanatory notes), memoranda, agreements, explanatory letters, guidelines etc. related to:
- child’s rights protection during martial law and early recovery period;
- development and functioning of child’s rights protection system;
- ensuring access to social services for children and families with children which are the most demanded during war and at early recovery stage; etc.
• Provide recommendations as to potential adjustments (if necessary) in terms of the current legislation and its application, to eliminate gaps.
• Conduct legal analysis of the drafts of the legal documents developed by the experts of the Children Protection and Social Services Development Reform Initiative to align them with the current national legislation and international standards.
• Conduct analysis of international treaties and best practices in the area of child’s rights protection, draft respective analytical notes and recommendations.
Academic qualifications and experience:
• University degree in Law or International Law.
• At least 5 years of experience in legal, regulatory and related area.
• Child’s rights legislation knowledge, and full understanding of current challenges in Ukraine in this sector is a plus.
• Experience in the child protection area (preferably).
• Clearly demonstrated ability to conceptualize issues and write quality analytical materials is essential.
Other experience and skills:
• Strong ethics, well-balanced and mature personality, positive attitude to the job.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Excellent knowledge of Ukrainian and English, ability to speak and write clearly and correctly.
• Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills.
• PC literacy (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Liga and Rada proficient).
• Citizen of Ukraine.
The duration of the contract is 6 months with a possibility of extensions (subject of approval and implemented deliverables during a previous deployment).
For contracting (after the job offer is made), the selected candidate is expected to be registered as a Private Entrepreneur of the 3d group (consultancy services).
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to [email protected] by March 27, 2023. Please, include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate in UAH or USD.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: