Ukraine is a signatory to the 1951 Geneva Convention on Refugees and has relevant national legislative and procedural framework, but provides very limited material assistance to refugees and asylum seekers.
While advocating the improvements of Ukrainian asylum system, the UNHCR under its mandate provides the concerned population with legal and social support through its legal and social implementing partners.
“The Tenth of April” is a non-government organization which implements the UNHCR program of social assistance and refugees in Odesa and Odesa oblast in accordance with the UNHCR policies, priorities and operating procedures.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in communication and self-development in refugee issues, to complete a nine-month contract employment as a Senior Social Counsellor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Social Counsellor as the team member is expected to:
• Counsel the persons of concern (PoCs) on available options of social support within the project framework in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), on their social rights, state benefits they are eligible for.
• Conduct social assessment of the cases.
• Assist the PoCs in developing self-reliance plan.
• Provide the concerned population with food and non-food assistance in accordance with the SOPs.
• Conduct home visits to assess living conditions.
• Assist the PoCs in getting access to the public health-care facilities.
• Organize referrals to specialized health-care facilities for defined cases of vulnerable PoCs in coordination with the UNHCR.
• File the information on the clients’ health, integration, and other issues.
• Record in-time manner the information in the database.
• Present the cases during Monthly Subsistence Allowance Committee in order to assess the vulnerability and consider feasibility of granting financial assistance.
• Filling in the reporting documents.
• Contribute to developing and implementing the communities’ empowerment activities.
• In collaboration with other team members conduct other activities in order to find the best durable solution for the concerned population.
• General understanding of the UNHCR mission and mandate.
• Bachelor’s degree in Humanitarian, Social Sciences or other relevant field.
• Experience in refugees’ protection field is desirable but not essential. The individuals with background in education, social work, human rights, communications, advocacy, journalism, international relations, development studies or other relevant disciplines are encouraged to apply.
• Experience in humanitarian projects is desirable but not essential.
• The candidate is expected to have genuine desire to learn and adapt.
• Advanced knowledge of oral and written English and Ukrainian.
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office essential).
• Listening Skills in order to understand needs, demands and preferences of the project clients and stakeholders.
• Strong written and verbal Communication Skills in order to counsel, negotiate and report in an efficient manner.
• Empathy in order to express genuine concern for the clients’ needs and willingness to respond.
• Psychological maturity to deal with vulnerable applicants.
• Tolerant behavior in order to respect individuals of various cultures, ages, genders, races, religions, traditions.
• Negotiating Skills in order to facilitate processes with the project stakeholders who have various levels of power and decision-making capacities, to open discussions on sensitive issues.
• Time Management Skills in order to analyse the workload, assign priorities, and maintain focus on productive endeavours.
• Critical Thinking in order to analyse the needs and preferences objectively and come up with the best solution.
• Team Working in order to generate problem-solving strategies, provide with constructive feedback, etc.
The selected Social Counsellor will be based with the project team in Odesa and work under the Project Manager supervision.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation and CV in English to [email protected] indicating “Social Counsellor/refugees” in the subject of the email.
The deadline for applications is 06 October 2022.
“The Tenth of April” seeks to sustain its workforce diversity. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.