DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world. DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is seeking qualified candidates for the Kyiv-based full-time Communications Specialist position to join USAID Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity’s team. Interested candidates should submit their application through the following portal:
Applications will be accepted until position is filled in. Due to a high volume of applications received, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted in response to this job advertisement.
DAI Global is implementing the USAID-funded Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity, based in Kyiv, Ukraine. This project is designed to support Ukraine advance self-reliant local governance including legislative reforms, participatory strategic planning methodologies, service improvement, local economic development, civil society engagement, and capacity building of sub-national government entities. The Activity has three objectives:
- Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
- Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
- Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
Communications Specialist will support highlighting HOVERLA’s activities of all components and sectors in communication channels and events, working with local partners and key stakeholders, including local communities, government agencies, businesses, and mass media. This position requires an excellent writing, communication, event organization and working with media skills. We are looking for a team member who is not afraid to take responsibility, be initiative and creative.
Objectives and Duties
Communications Specialist will mainly focus on the following functions:
- Work with media on the national and regional levels to ensure the high-level and quality visibility and outreach of the HOVERLA activities.
- Develop and implement partnership strategy with relevant media outlets
- Coordinate the implementation of special projects with the media
- Provide media support for the events
- Act as a moderator for the events with media engagement
- Coordinate closely with HOVERLA Grantees to ensure quality communication about the Activity’s support in accordance with branding and marking regulations.
- Develop and maintain the content plan with relevant communication materials from grantees.
- Carry out field visits to grantee and partner sites for story development.
Communication Outreach Activities:
- Assist in developing communications plans and activities for a variety of stakeholder groups, create messaging and materials for community action, and assist in implementing local governance communications strategies.
- Assist in developing innovative communications products to actively engage HOVERLA stakeholders across Ukraine, including institutional and private sector partners.
Communications Specialist will also support the Communications team in implementation of the following functions:
- Assist in the organization, coordination, and development of HOVERLA events and support objective leads in event organization and ensure their appropriate branding and visibility.
- Provide suggestions regarding strategic initiatives and activities (such as ceremonies, forums, and high-visibility events), as needed.
- Assist with maintaining HOVERLA’s internal and external events calendar and schedule.
- Manage communications support of the event planning following DAI logistics, finance, and procurement processes.
- Coordinate closely with external contracted consultants and firms on event management (branding, visibility, outreach issues).
HOVERLA Communications and Content Development:
- Assist with implementation of USAID HOVERLA branding and marking during the performance of the technical tasks.
- Prepare and draft HOVERLA communication materials, texts, success stories, in various formats (i.e. written, presentations, video, etc.).
- Work with staff to develop and produce communications, knowledge management and outreach materials (videos, infographics etc.).
- Draft the content (text and visual) for HOVERLA’s social media.
- Support the development of on-demand information/communications products requested by USAID or other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the preparation of weekly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Contribute to development of relevant SoWs, requests for proposals etc.
- Coordinate closely with external contracted consultants and firms on communication activities.
- Assist in the creation and management of a knowledge bank (OneDrive/TAMIS knowledge repository/SharePoint) for HOVERLA and external stakeholders.
- Other tasks as assigned by Strategic Communications Manager, Sr. Communications Specialists, COP or DCOP
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, PR, languages, communications or in a related field; master’s degree is an asset
- At least 1-3 years of professional experience in communications, media relations
- Between 1-3 years’ experience in event planning
- Experience in communications of the reform sphere in Ukraine is beneficial
- Experience with event management or communications for USAID or other international donor-funded programs is a bonus
- Experience in working with grantees is a bonus
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word and Power Point); graphic arts and/or desktop publishing software is a plus
- Native Ukrainian and excellent command of English; solid skills in writing and editing English and Ukrainian content for various channels
- Knowledge of the Ukrainian government’s decentralization reform agenda and developments is a plus