German organisation “Help-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe” (Help) is active worldwide for 40 years. We are currently implementing different programmes in more than 25 countries (https://www.help-ev.de/en/about-us).
Since its inception in 1981, Help has been committed to providing people in need with prompt, sustainable and long-term aid, and support. Help strengthens survivability, improves living conditions, and increases the resilience of people in difficulty worldwide.
Help is seeking a qualified professional to fill the position of Project Manager. The Project Manager will work under supervision of the Country Director and the Project Coordinator and will be responsible for the coordination of programme activities. The Project Manager will be responsible for the overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the assigned project. He/she will be also responsible for coordination of project partners (should there be any in the project in question), and will liaise with other relevant project stakeholders.
He/she will manage the human, financial and other resources available to the project and is responsible for creating and leading the team that will successfully implement the project. The Project Manager will bear the main responsibility for the proper project implementation and achieving objectives and results, fully in line with the accepted project proposal and contract signed with the donor(s).
Location: Project Manager will be based in Kyiv
Starting date: ASAP
Duties and Responsibilities:
Project planning and management
- Participate in the preparation of project proposal and related negotiations with the donor(s).
- Suggest new activities or ideas according to needs identified in the area and potential donors’ strategies for the country/region and participates in preparation of new project proposals under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and Country Director.
- Manage the entire project in close collaboration with partners (if any) and other important stakeholders, to ensure achievement of project objectives and expected results. Ensure all project activities are implemented in line with the accepted contractual obligations (donor regulations), Help’s procedures and applicable local legislation.
- Oversee implementation and daily management of the project, including project cycle management.
- Prepare annual, quarterly and monthly plans for effective execution of the project activities as stipulated in the project proposal.
- Keep close control of the procurement procedures within the project. Provide detailed and accurate instructions to teams implementing the procurement procedures, fully in line with the relevant donor and Help regulations. Check all procurement documents upon the completion of each procedure, before signing contracts with suppliers/contractors, and approve them or request corrections if necessary.
- Support, manage and motivate the project team to achieve the overall and specific project objectives.
- Prepare and disseminate guidelines and instruct the project staff on the methodology and procedures in all phases of project implementation.
- Take part in selection and hiring procedures of the project staff, prepare terms of reference (job descriptions), based on existing Help templates and relevant HR procedures, in cooperation with the Finance Department and Country Director.
- Hold regular project team meetings for the purpose of review of activities to date, providing instructions, planning further steps and remedial actions, if needed.
- In charge of project staff performance reviews, proposes capacity building measures where needed and undertakes disciplinary measures in cases of breach of labour contract provisions, negligence, and inadequate performance, in close cooperation with Finance Department and Country Director.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Follow-up the project implementation closely in all stages and possess the accurate and updated result-based indicators at all times. Ensure in depth analysis of data collected as basis for informed project management decisions.
- Update and/or develop monitoring tools to suit the specific project purposes.
- Travel frequently to the project areas and monitor all stages of the project implementation.
- Prepare and submit field visit reports, monthly progress reports, narrative interim and final project reports, as per Help regulations and contractual obligations towards donor(s). Financial report is prepared by the Finance Coordinator and reviewed and combined with the narrative report by the Project Manager.
- Oversee project expenditures and budget and make sure there are no significant discrepancies compared to the planned values. In case such discrepancies are justified and necessary, initiate timely and appropriate modification/addenda procedures.
- Acts as a main responsible person for the interim and final project evaluations and audits.
- Represent and be the key contact for the project. Represent Help in all important project-related meetings and other events.
- Maintain relationship with the donor representatives, partners and project stakeholders, especially local authorities in the project region and relevant central governmental bodies as instructed by the Country Director.
- Assure appropriate donor, Help and project visibility in close cooperation with the PR Officer, and in line with donor and Help regulations and instructions given regarding all relevant information and photos, preparation of visibility events, documents for web site and Facebook updates. Follow-up on the results and make sure visibility actions are timely and appropriate.
All other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and Skills:
- University degree preferable (within social sciences, economics etc.)
- Active knowledge of spoken and written English language
- IT literacy
- Analytical and organizational skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, self-initiative, responsibility
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of the team
- Ability to learn quickly and adjust to new assignments
- Previous experience in civil/NGO sector, both local and international, with similar scope and type of work is a must
Reporting and communication:
The Project Manager reports to the Country Director according to the reporting procedure set by Help. The Project Manager supervises the team members within his/her project, who report to him/her. The Project Manager is obliged to share the business information and experience with other Help staff and particularly with Help management team, in accordance with the Organizational chart.
Interested candidates, with the required qualifications, may submit their application, including a letter of interest (Motivation letter) and complete Curriculum Vitae in English to Help via e-mail to [email protected] and [email protected] latest by the 15th of April 2022.
Please indicate the vacancy title you are applying for in the subject line. Additional proofs (diploma, references, etc.) are not needed at this stage.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only those candidates that are short listed for interviews will be notified.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply as soon as it is possible as the applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.