Position : Assistant Safety Advisor
Line Manager : Safety Advisor / Head of Mission
Country Office : Ukraine
Work Location : Lviv
The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations, and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The strong focus on humanitarian principles and exclusive NGO-only membership criteria has meant that INSO is now accepted as a standard component of modern humanitarian response offering independent frontline reporting and coordination services that save lives, strengthen operational practice, and enable humanitarian access.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs in 17 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO Ukraine Country Office
INSO has been operational in Ukraine since July 2015 and currently brings together 52 humanitarian organisations operating country-wide. INSO Ukraine focuses on providing security- and access-related information in near to real-time and helps raise awareness of the existing risks and mitigation strategies.
We are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as INSO Assistant Safety Advisor to be based in Lviv.
(The below-mentioned list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: flexibility is a must and other tasks may be requested to adapt to operational needs, like covering other areas during the leave of a colleague).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a diversified and consistent network of contacts at the communal and regional levels (population, local authorities, NGOs, UN, army, other national and international security bodies, law enforcement agencies, etc.).
- Collate, validate, and summarise safety and security information in a concise and actionable format.
- Proactively ensure daily liaison with field monitors and submit Requests for Information to deadlines.
- Assist the SA in the preparation of relevant reports, area assessments, and other INSO products.
- Assist the SA in visualising and analysing data by using charts and mapping tools.
- Help to enhance information collection capacity in the region.
- Develop own network or local contacts.
- Ensure close monitoring of field monitors (planning, field visits, raises, follow-up, performance, etc.).
- Act at short notice with due regard to developing events.
- Ensure strict compliance with INSO HR, financial and logistics procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Preferred Requirements (Not mandatory, but advantageous. Please specify in the cover letter):
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Security Management, Humanitarian Safety, or any other diploma or practical experience.
- Significant experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Ability to periodically travel to other destinations in the region and beyond.
- Experience in the humanitarian, and/or risk management and/or humanitarian access sectors.
- A good understanding of NGO approaches to security.
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with partners.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Windows, Office, SharePoint, and mapping software/applications. Knowledge of analytical software.
- Working experience with humanitarian organizations, particularly with NGOs.
- Microsoft Office Products
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant post-graduation work experience
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of context in the region of assignment.
- Skills in context and humanitarian access analysis.
- Acceptance and understanding of humanitarian principles.
- Strong work ethic and flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
- Comfortable working in a multicultural environment.
- Self-organization, ability to work remotely.
- Confidentiality, integrity, and a sense of conflict-of-interest prevention.
- Self-motivation, courtesy, and humility.
- Team spirit and good management of interpersonal relationships.
- Know how to plan and organize your work.
- Be flexible, dynamic, know how to propose initiatives.
- Be able to work under pressure.
- Effective communicator.
- Capacity to work in multicultural environments.
- Analytical mindset.
Terms & Conditions:
Official employment with a 3-month probationary period with expected start date asap or 21 March 2022, UAH 39,100 Gross salary.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection, and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees, and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
- All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professionals.
- INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
- All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
- The successful candidate will be required to provide valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
- All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
- All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
How to apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to [email protected] and ensure to reference INSO Assistant Safety Advisor, Lviv in the subject line of your email by 18 March 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis:
Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in (2-page maximum). Up to date CV (5-page maximum). Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.