Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC Ukraine is looking for Protection Assistant (Lawyer) based in Lviv.
Overall purpose of the role:
- deliver high quality legal aid services at four border checkpoints with Poland (Rava-Ruska – Hrebenne, Shegini – Medica, Krakivets – Korchova, Hruszow – Budomierz);
- contribute towards enhancing DRC’s capacity to carry on evidence based advocacy;
- contribute towards implementation of high-quality awareness raising program.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Provide one-on-one legal counseling to people fleeing from the hostilities to safety of the neighboring countries.
- Facilitate people on move and other conflict-affected population in receiving information on asylum and temporary protection procedures, other relevant information on international protection and opportunities for humanitarian assistance.
- Organize and facilitate awareness-raising sessions on recent legal developments addressing the information and legal needs of refugees and conflict-affected people fleeing the country.
- Assist in conducting legal and protection assessments as part of DRC field staff.
- Facilitate and follow up incoming and outgoing protection referral cases.
- Provide information and other legal advice to enable people on move and other conflict-affected population fleeing the country to access welfare benefits, livelihood opportunities and privileges.
- Any other functions to be assigned by the Protection Project Manager;
- Comply with all relevant DRC policies and procedures;
- Understand, and ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct.
Case Management Reporting
- Create weekly work plan in coordination and under supervision of the Small Grants and Legal Aid Project Manager.
- Tracking and managing cases.
- Provide input for the monthly report.
- Document findings of needs assessments; including preparation of reports and other relevant documents.
- Assist with maintaining archiving system up to date (both in hardcopies and electronically).
- Assist in designing the needed forms, questionnaires and other templates.
- Contribute to the development of referral mechanisms for legal matters.
- Establish excellent relations with beneficiaries, including understanding the needs of beneficiaries through regular visits and frequent contact with actual and potential beneficiaries.
- Assist in providing information to and cooperation with community representatives and relevant authorities.
- Attend and participate coordination meetings when delegated by supervisor.
We expect you to have minimum 2 years of of relevant professional experience, including experience in legal counseling, preferably in an NGO setting.
Required experience and competencies:
- Diploma in law;
- Excellent knowledge of legislation on internally-displaced persons and protection of asylum seekers and refugees in neighboring with Ukraine countries;
- Knowledge of law of the recipient country is preferred;
- Experience of working with vulnerable groups and communities;
- Experience of working in stressful environments is of advantage;
- Good analytical, legal writing and research skills;
- Ability to provide a high quality, targeted and accessible legal advice;
- English - Intermediate or Upper-Intermediate level;
- Good command of Ukrainian and/or Russian;
- Good communication skills;
- Confident user of computers and office software packages.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension based on available funding.
Start date: ASAP
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English to this link: https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19100&ProjectId=163812&MediaId=5 . Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20 March 2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.