EnCompass LLC is looking for a Strategic Communications Specialist national consultant to cover a maternity leave under the Monitoring and Learning Support Contract (MLSC) to support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in Ukraine.
The Strategic Communications Specialist (consultant) will support Strategic Communications Manager in general coordination of UMLS activities related to development outreach and communications.
This is a maternity leave cover starting Feb 15th, 2022, to expected end date May 15th, 2022, OR until maternity leave ends.
Ukraine Monitoring and Learning Support (UMLS) Contract with the implementing period of 2020-2025 aims to support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in Ukraine in its Country Development Cooperation Strategy implementation. As part of the contract, UMLS is providing support to the development outreach and communications (DOC) component of USAID/Ukraine operations, including strategic advice and analytical support of DOC activities, capacity building, and communications materials production and dissemination.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Communications Specialist will support Strategic Communications Manager in general coordination of UMLS activities related to development outreach and communications, including the following:
- Promote the application of findings from relevant analytical surveys and reports into the DOC-related processes and products.
- Support the review and updating of the USAID/Ukraine Mission’s social media and communication strategies.
- Support the selection and use of metrics to monitor progress in the implementation of the above strategies.
- Design, coordinate and deliver capacity-building sessions on communications-related topics for the relevant Mission staff and implementing partners.
- Guide and advise on the USAID Mission presence and campaigning in social media as well as monitor social media pages’ performance and assessing outreach.
- Support the DOC Team and Mission technical staff to develop strategic messages and “elevator pitches” about USAID/Ukraine programs for key audiences and decision makers.
- Review and assess USAID/Ukraine communication products, such as newsletters, fact sheets, reports, and social media posts and provide recommendations based on international and regional best practices for strategic and digital communication.
- Support the use of innovative tools and approaches to the production and dissemination of USAID/Ukraine’s communications products.
- Coordinate the work of local vendors or short-term consultants as required for achieving results.
- Contribute to related initiatives as assigned, including working as a full member of the Ukraine UMLSC team.
- Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, professional writing, public relations, or a related field. Master’s is an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience for Master’s degree (+2 additional years for Bachelor’s), out of which at least 3 years of experience in communications, public relations, or mass media with the governmental bodies, international development organizations, or relevant NGOs.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies, plans, and activities.
- Ability to understand and translate complex information into key messages for clients, partners, and other target audiences.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for web and print platforms In English and Ukrainian. Ability to write compelling stories for internal and external audiences in line with Associated Press style guidelines.
- Experience training/mentoring others, advanced speaking and presentation skills in English and Ukrainian.
- Strong teamwork and client relationship management skills, including proactive engagement, creative problem solving and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Ukraine-based UMLSC team, using communications to strengthen the impact of the team’s support for the Mission’s work.
- Familiarity with USAID branding policies and procedures with hands-on experience with communications in a USAID project strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop preferred.
- Proficiency with management of organizational/programmatic Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram accounts and analytics tools, including Hootsuite; experience with visual storytelling platforms desired.
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application on the Careers & Consulting page of https://app.ismartrecruit.com/. All applicants must apply no later than February 6th, 2022