Programme Title: EMBRACE (Enhancing National and Regional Mechanisms to Build Responsive, Accountable and Cost-Effective System of Gender-Based Violence Response and Prevention)
Post Title: GBV Policy Associate
Post Level: Service Contract, SB3/Q1
Position Number: 00178849
Duration of the service: one year with possible extension
Duty Station: Kyiv
Full/part time: Full time
Under the supervision of GBV Services Capacity Development Coordinator and in close coordination with GBV Programme Manager, the GBV Policy Associate contributes to the design, coordination and implementation of interventions of the UNFPA GBV Response and Prevention Programme with the focus on strengthening GBV policy framework in Ukraine.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. The Fund operates globally since 1969 in more than 150 countries and territories. UNFPA focuses on women and young people, because these are the groups whose rights are often compromised. UNFPA has been active in Ukraine since 1997.
In accordance with the organisational mandate and national development priorities of Ukraine, UNFPA implements a country programme of technical assistance to Ukraine for 2018-2022. Among several priorities, the country programme seeks to contribute to the development of robust national system of response and prevention of domestic and gender-based violence (GBV), establish functional intersectoral coordination and accountability mechanisms and enhance institutional capacities at the national and regional levels to ensure that majority of gender-based violence survivors seek and have access to good quality survivor-centred services, and Ukrainian society finds GBV unacceptable.
Through its GBV Response and Prevention Programme, UNFPA contributes to improving safety and security of women and girls, and thus, their willingness to participate in community life, including in conflict-affected communities. Women’s engagement and empowerment in community dialogue, including in displacement, is essential for laying a strong foundation for recovery and sustainable peace and development.
UNFPA is seeking highly-motivated candidates that share our passion of making a sound contribution to creating a Ukrainian society free from domestic and gender-based violence. We need strong professionals who are innovative, committed to excellence and keen to transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results.
The UNFPA GBV Response and Prevention Programme presently covers 21 regions of Ukraine, including most affected by the armed conflict (Donetsk and Luhansk GCA), and focuses on the delivery of the following outcomes:
- Increased perception of the unacceptability of gender-based violence in Ukrainian society.
- Improved equitable access of GBV survivors to survivor-centred services.
- Establishment of mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries at the national and local levels.
GBV Policy Associate coordinates implementation of interventions that contribute to the achievement of the Outcome 3 with the strategic aim of embedding mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries into GBV response and prevention system at the national and local levels in Ukraine.
GBV Policy Associate works in a client, quality and results-oriented manner in close collaboration with GBV Programme Team members, all units of the UNFPA Country Office (CO), UNFPA implementing partners, as well as personnel of other UN agencies to exchange information and ensure smooth implementation of GBV Programme interventions in line with the approved work plans, indicators and milestones (Programme Results Framework).
GBV Policy Associate is one of the core programme team members and plays a vital role in ensuring smooth planning, coordination, and monitoring of programme activities on developing and establishing mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries at the national and local levels. S/he ensures that all activities are carried out in line with UNFPA rules and procedures as well as donors’ requirements. S/he will be responsible for contributing to the achievements of programme’s objectives and quality management throughout the programme life cycle.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to design, coordinate and monitor delivery of interventions on establishment of mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries and GBV case management;
- Identify, suggest and implement innovative solutions to foster accountability to beneficiaries of GBV response and prevention at the national and local levels;
- Develop guidelines and tools to maximise accountability of GBV Programme interventions to beneficiaries;
- Conduct advocacy work with government stakeholders (national and local level) and Programme partners to ensure effective incorporation of mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries and GBV case management into the GBV policy and legal framework;
- Facilitate deployment of mechanisms of accountability to beneficiaries and GBV case management as part of the development of robust systems of GBV response and prevention in target communities, in close coordination and cooperation with Field Coordinator;
- Liaise, interact and coordinate cooperation with implementing partners and relevant stakeholders on all matters related to designated interventions implementation for the timely and effective achievement of planned results in cost-effective and sustainable manner;
- Contribute to the work of interagency dialogue and working groups on accountability to beneficiaries, accountability to affected people (AAP) and PSEA;
- Analyse interventions’ implementation and provide regular updates to GBV Programme Manager highlighting designated strands’ implementation progress, bottlenecks and possible solutions;
- Contribute to collection, development and sharing of knowledge by synthesising and documenting findings and lessons learned, good practices, models, strategies and approaches of GBV Programme and UNFPA country office, and drafting relevant materials for dissemination;
- Prepare regular updates/briefs as required by supervisor, GBV Programme Manager and UNFPA senior management;
- Provide comprehensive, outcome-oriented, evidence-based inputs to progress reports required by UNFPA and donors;
- Ensure visibility of UNFPA and GBV Programme through public relations, advocacy, working with the media and other communications activities;
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor, GBV Programme Manager and UNFPA senior management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in policy development, human rights protection, good governance, GBV response and prevention;
- Strong experience in design, delivery and monitoring of technical assistance interventions (experience of delivering humanitarian-development nexus interventions will be an asset);
- Knowledge of GBV in emergencies, AAP and PSEA will be an asset;
- Excellent analytical skills, as evidenced by developed intellectual products, designed interventions and innovative solutions implemented in work;
- Experience of establishing and managing effective partnerships with stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved in social development work at the national and sub-national levels;
- Proven ability to effectively present information tailored (both in content and format) to diverse audiences;
- Proficiency in MS Office package, Google applications and teleconferencing tools;
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA agenda, policies and procedures will be a benefit.
Bachelor degree in Law, Political Science, Public Policy, International Relations, Gender Studies, social sciences or related areas.
Fluency in Ukrainian, English and Russian.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Please apply through the link by February 11, 2022