UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
In autumn 2019, the President of Ukraine adopted Decree #722/2019 on the integration of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into the policy development practice of Ukraine, which (a) encourages the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to analyze higher-level programme documents and strategic forecasts through the SDG lens, (b) foresees the establishment of a regular tracking and reporting system for SDGs in Ukraine and a mechanism for relevant annual reporting, and (c) recommends core scientific and R&D centers of the country to align their research priorities with principles that underpin 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Based on the request from the Government partners at the Secretariat of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (SCMU), UNDP Ukraine together with SIDA and FDFA supported the launch of SDG BRIDGE Ukraine (Building Resilience for Implementing Development Goals Effectively) and the establishment of a dedicated unit that would help to develop an institutional framework for SDG coordination and implementation in Ukraine. The SDG BRIDGE Project will morph a group of advisors within the SCMU / Prime Minister’s Office into a dedicated SDG Office to provide high level technical advice and strategic guidance, and to demonstrate how SDG-related coordination can and should function.
In this context, the UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly-qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of Strategic Planning and Project Management Specialist, to support the Government of Ukraine in enhancing coordination mechanism on SDGs implementation using best approaches of the result based management.
The incumbent will accelerate gender equality and women’s empowerment within all implementations and promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure proper coordination of the activities of the SDG office under the SCMU and implementation of its developed and approved action plan;
- Provide policy and institutional advice and expertise, reviews and recommendations to the Government of Ukraine on the implementation of important relevant reforms in line with SDGs, bringing in gender perspectives and concerns;
- Support development of the concept for coordination mechanism for SDGs implementation and ensure involvement of different counterparts to the discussion of the concept that will be developed;
- Enhance the long-term policymaking, strategic and scenario planning, policy analysis capacities of the governmental institutions required for the reforms’ implementation in line with the SDG targets and the overlapping priorities with the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement across Ukraine’s governmental institutions;
- Review the existing international technical assistance policy, and provide recommendations for improving the assistance coordination mechanism in order to promote SDGs implementation;
- Support better inter-ministerial coordination, development of long-term vision through Innovative approaches of strategic planning (e.g. foresight) and connecting it with the implementation of Ukraine’s commitments under the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement and Agenda 2030 and its SDGs;
- Provide analysis of the institutional capacity gaps and develop recommendations to address them, both in a short and medium/long-term, as linked to the implementation of SDGs in Ukraine.
Strategic Planning and Project Management Specialist reports to the SDG BRIDGE Project Manager. The management of the assignment under the Contract will be carried out by the UNDP technical assistance team in Kyiv within the overall framework of the United Nations Partnership Framework 2018–2022 in a Direct Implementation Modality. UNDP shall be responsible for the management of the assignment, primarily concerning the responsibility for the achievement of the Output and the stated Outcome. The incumbent will report to the Project Manager of the Democratic Governance portfolio.
Should any travel be necessary in connection to this TOR, UNDP will reimburse the expenses based on the duly authorized travel details, including travel and per diems. Any travel or payment of travel costs including tickets, lodging and terminal expenses should be agreed upon, between the respective business unit and Individual Consultant, prior to travel and will be reimbursed.
Core Competencies – Level 3
- Demonstrate focus on achieving quality results and impact
- Consistently strive to meet or exceed excellence standards
- Hold self and others accountable for results
- Efficiently establish appropriate plans and resources for self and others to accomplish goals
- Look beyond conventional approaches and established methods
- Propose new ideas, approaches and solutions to problems
- Seek patterns and clarity outside boxes and categories while resisting false certainty and simplistic binary choice
- Actively pursue opportunities for learning and self-development professionally and personally
- Keep abreast of new developments in one’s professional area
- Proactively seek feedback, demonstrates a desire to learn from others as well as from experiences, both positive and negative
- Contribute to the learning of others
Adapt with Agility
- Be flexible in handling change, and adopt new ideas, approaches and ways of working
- Seamlessly adapt to working within new situations or contexts, with new people, and in different ways
- Participate in, support, contribute to or drive meaningful change in UNDP
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and effectively managing multiple demands
Act with Determination
- Pursue everything with motivation and drive
- Not give up in the face of adversity and setbacks; demonstrate resilience and composure
- Demonstrate courage, self-motivation and initiative to act on opportunities without being prompted by others
- Be authentic and modest, get things done without unnecessary noise
Engage and Partner
- Act in a way that demonstrates empathy and emotional intelligence, showing consideration for the needs and feelings of others
- Demonstrate and encourage teamwork and co-creation internally and externally to achieve joint objectives and results
- Establish and develop networks that deliver powerful collaborations
- Encourage and respect the views of others; accept views and ideas other than one’s own
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- Treat all individuals with respect, consider ethical implications and respond sensitively to all differences among people
- Fully accept and value all people, creating an inclusive environment
- Understand that inclusion is multi-faceted (e.g. race, gender, age, disability, culture, etc.)
- Understand and appreciate issues from the perspective of others
- Treat everyone fairly and equally
- Demonstrate honesty and transparency
Cross-functional competencies - Level 3
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
Business Acumen and Commercial Thinking
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with
UNDP strategy and policies
- Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated n
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Show Managerial Courage
- Not be afraid to take decision and action when and as needed
- Not hold back anything that needs to be said, respectfully and diplomatically
Technical Competencies - Level 3
- Public Administration and Local Governance
- Transparency and Anti-Corruption
- Planning and Assessment
- Knowledge of gender issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis and implementation of projects from a gender perspective
- Knowledge of applicable legal framework
- Legal Analysis and Report Writing
Strategic Policy Engagement
- Horizon-scanning and future of development
- Strategic policy advice
- Relationship management
- Strategic engagement
- SDG Acceleration
- Horizon-scanning and future of development
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, social science, public administration, business administration, law or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with additional two years of relevant extensive progressively responsible experience shall be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- 5 years (with Master’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public administration, legislative work;
- 7 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public administration, legislative work.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian languages is required
Required skills and competencies
- Proven experience of managing teams or projects;
- Proven prior experience of professional or advisory services to the Government and/or Parliament.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Desired skills and competencies
- Excellent writing, proficient communication and analytical skills to be demonstrated through provision of at least 2 (two) relevant analytical papers/ reviews/ policy papers;
- Experience in providing advisory services or support to international finance projects, multilateral or international technical assistance projects, preferably in the UN structures, will be an asset
- Knowledge of SDGs agenda is considered as an asset.
- Experience of policy development on EU association agreement implementation.
- Certificate on project management will be an asset.