- Activity Background:
The purpose of the United Agency for International Development (USAID) Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure in Ukraine Activity (“the Activity”) is to strengthen the resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure from cyberattacks by establishing trusted collaboration between key cybersecurity stakeholders in the government, private sector, academia, and civil society. The activity aims to achieve this goal by implementing the following activity components:
Component 1: Strengthening the cybersecurity enabling environment
The legal, regulatory, and institutional framework for national cybersecurity in Ukraine needs to be strengthened and aligned with international standards and best practices. This component will strengthen the cybersecurity resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure (CI) sectors by addressing legislative gaps, promoting good governance, enabling collaboration between stakeholders, and supporting cybersecurity institutions. This component will also build the technical capacity of key sectors through increased access to cybersecurity technology and equipment.
Component 2: Developing Ukraine’s cybersecurity workforce
Ukraine suffers from a severe shortage of cybersecurity professionals. This component of the USAID Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure in Ukraine Activity will address workforce gaps through activities that develop new cybersecurity talent and build the capacity of existing talent. These activities will address the entire workforce pipeline, the quality of education received by cybersecurity specialists, and industry training programs to rapidly upskill Ukraine’s workforce to respond to immediate cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
Component 3: Building a resilient cybersecurity industry
A growing cybersecurity industry in Ukraine will contribute directly to national security and prosperity. This component will seek to build trust and collaboration between the public and private sector to develop innovative solutions for future cybersecurity challenges; spur investment and growth in the broader cybersecurity market in Ukraine through greater access to financing; support smaller cybersecurity companies to rapidly increase the number of local cybersecurity service providers; and offer mechanisms for Ukrainian firms to connect with industry partners to enable better access to innovations and business opportunities.
With the Component 3 objectives to spur investment, market growth and innovations in the cybersecurity market and to help strengthen support for Government of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure, the Center for Cybersecurity Innovation Manager has responsibility for helping the Activity reach a key part of its strategic objectives.
2. Role’s Purpose:
The Center for Cybersecurity Innovation encompasses activities targeting development in 3 different, but related areas:
Community Development: Actions in this area will focus on community building and stakeholder dialogue to facilitate collaboration between government, business, experts and academia to identify, explore and jointly address the most pressing cybersecurity challenges for Ukraine.
Market Development: Actions in this area will focus on creating awareness, increased interest in, and use of cybersecurity products and services within Ukraine, as well as with initiatives to foster the growth of cybersecurity providers.
Innovation Development: Actions in this area will identify and support innovative cybersecurity innovations (concepts and research) and solutions (products, and services) from start-ups, service companies, researchers, independent teams, and others to address key cybersecurity challenges.
Under the supervision of the Component 3 Market and Industry Development Lead, the CCI Manager will be responsible for overseeing activities, for ensuring that the objectives of each activity are met and for the overall success of CCI in creating community partnerships, market development and identifying and promoting innovative ideas in cybersecurity.
- CCI Manager will oversee a Dialogue series developed to connect the government, academia and business to discuss and address high level cybersecurity issues. Additionally, in collaboration with the cybersecurity company ecosystem, the CCI Manager will evaluate the benefits and outcomes of supporting the launch of a cybersecurity Association to provide a unified platform for promoting Ukrainian cybersecurity companies, fostering community at the technical creation level.
- The CCI Manager will work to create greater awareness and demand in the cybersecurity Buyer’s market through public awareness campaigns, training for CEO/CFO/COO executives to educate businesses about cybersecurity needs and support the participation of Ukrainian cybersecurity providers at international events.
- The CCI Manager will explore opportunities for the launch of an Innovation Lab, to address the cyber threats faced by GOU CI, as well as acting as a place to practice, research and develop new cybersecurity products and services. It is expected that this activity will require developing business plans and executive level outreach to other potential corporate, NGO or governmental partners.
- The CCI Manager will need to have the skills and knowledge to identify potential innovative cybersecurity ideas, help evaluate them, and then provide appropriate support to help bring them to development.
General Management and Performance Monitoring and Reporting
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Team and partner organizations to monitor performance indicators under each activity and for each implementer
- Collect data and reports from partners, monitor their progress and ensure deliverables and objectives are being met
- Prepare and/or review progress reports and presentations for the USAID and key stakeholders
- Write success stories and provide inputs/updates for contractual reports (weekly update, quarterly reports, monthly schedule, etc.)
- Identify and resolve issues, including proposing any programmatic/strategic changes required
- Provide Market and Industry Development Lead, Chief of Party, and Deputy Chief of Party with updates on each activity’s progress on a weekly/monthly basis, as requested
- Work closely with the communications team to ensure appropriate visibility to public about investments, grants and PPPs including events, major milestones, and success stories
4. Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelor’s or higher educational degree in business, finance, economics, or related field.
- Must have 3 — 5 years of project management experience with at least 1 year of experience working with international partners.
- Must have business development experience (working with sellers and buyers/investors) bringing new projects or products to existence.
- Experience working with Government of Ukraine partners and stakeholders preferred.
- Previous experience with USAID or other donor funded projects preferred.
- Knowledge of the tech or cybersecurity sector strongly preferred.
- Understanding of the process of implementing USAID grants and technical assistance Requests for Proposals is a plus.
- Must be a strong team player, as well as have ability to work on own without day-to-day oversight.
- Ability to manage multiple partners, deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Solid communications skills, including excellent spoken and written ability in both English and Ukrainian.
Qualified candidates should send their CV and cover letter in English to [email protected]. Only short-listed candidates will receive notice requesting additional information.