Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Division: Communities & Governance, USAID/UNITY (Mriemo ta diemo) Program
Reports To: Civic Engagement and Social Cohesion Lead
Deadline: Dec 01, 2021
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX implements the USAID-funded project, Ukraine National Identity Through Youth (UNITY) Activity (програма «Мріємо та діємо»). This five-year activity is designed to foster vested ownership among Ukrainian youth in their country’s democratic, European future by further mobilizing youth leadership around a values-based conception of Ukrainian identity grounded in innovation, engagement, and pluralism.
IREX seeks a responsible and qualified professional to fill the position of Program Officer (PO) in UNITY Civic Engagement and Social Cohesion team. PO will provide programmatic oversight to selected subgrants and small grants/awards that contribute to broadening youth engagement in civic and community problem solving, as well as support youth as drivers of Ukraine’s pluralism and respect for diversity. She or he will implement project activities or support assigned components within the project in accordance with the approved work plan. This position reports directly to Civic Engagement and Social Cohesion Lead and will work closely with Subgrants Manager and Social Cohesion Specialist.
The position is based in Kyiv with travel to target regions within Ukraine.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support in subaward activities, including subgrant design, program description, interview and negotiations with applicants, preparation of programmatic parts of subgrant documents, monitoring and evaluation of subaward program process;
- Maintain updated subgrant files and coordinate with Grants Manager, GESI Advisor, MEL team to ensure that all subgrants are well-managed and implemented in compliance with the relevant grant rules and regulations, and IREX policies and procedures;
- Regularly monitor, maintain effective relations and coordination with sub-grantees, and train subgrantees to ensure smooth implementation and compliance;
- Prepare supporting documentation for donor reporting as needed;
- Draft success stories, lessons learned, recommendations based on the processes and outcomes of implemented activities;
- Identify capacity building needs and support learning and growth of partner organizations;
- Implement project activities or assigned components within the Program to ensure that objectives and targets are achieved;
- Track and analyze work-plan activity progress toward project objectives and/or track and analyze project indicator data;
- Draft programmatic reports, success stories, instructions related to program activities;
- Organize working groups meetings, brainstorming sessions, creative workshops and other activities related to the development of program activities and grant implementation;
- File, organize and keep track on materials developed (e-database);
- Support effective collaboration with program partners, stakeholders and participants;
- As needed, support organization of other program events, including trainings, meetings and workshops;
- Travel to regions to attend program events and meetings;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least bachelor’s of degree in international development, public administration, management, political science, communications and/or another relevant field is preferred;
- Experience in programmatic oversight of grant programs (support in subaward activities, subgrant design, complete program description, preparation of subgrant documents, monitoring and evaluation subaward program process etc.);
- Experience of work in NGO sector and/or international development projects in similar areas;
- Experience with USAID-funded projects is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in institutional capacity building is a plus;
- Interest in working with youth and creating enabling environment and opportunities for youth;
- Demonstrated success in maintaining excellent collaborations with partner organizations, and ability to establish productive relationships with NGOs, opinion leaders etc;
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to make public presentations and/or lead trainings;
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; attention to detail, reliability, thoroughness, and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to plan, prioritize, track files, and effectively manage information.
- Strong presentation skills: ability to write and present information concisely.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrate professional and ethical, behavior when interacting with partners and stakeholders.
- Strong command of spoken and written English, Ukrainian and Russian.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and complete tasks and projects in accordance with stated deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in a team and the ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, and be flexible.
- Ability to travel (contingent upon actual epidemiological situation and based on security recommendations provided by IREX and Government)
- Ukrainian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required.
Please send your cover letter and resume as an attachment in an email with “Program Officer – UNITY” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be considered. No telephone inquiries will be accepted. Application deadline: Dec 01, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
IREX conducts anti- terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers. IREX is also an E-Verify Employer.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.