The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.
NRC Ukraine is looking for Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Assistant (Database) in our office in Severodonetsk.
Role and responsibilities
Brief Description of the Role
The M&E Technical Assistant (Database) is a member of the M&E Unit, under the supervision of the M&E Coordinator. The Database Technical Assistant will work closely with the members of the M&E Unit, especially with the M&E Officer (Database), Core Competencies specialists and other NRC Ukraine departments. The overall objective of the Database Technical Assistant is to provide experienced technical support in data management and processing sets of data of Core Competencies, including data analysis, thus supporting CC specialists/Programme Managers through the M&E Unit. The Database Technical Assistant will support the development, modifications, and maintenance of the data management models in NRC Ukraine to secure that it’s operational, efficient, and fully documented.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, management and administration of the efficient and accountable data management system and related procedures
- Support in preparation of reports as required by Programmes and management
- Support in data collection and data analysis
- Ensure data quality that are being managed and processed
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement of the data management system
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Adhere to National legislation, NRC policies, and GDPR regarding the data protection
- Support in management and maintenance of project- and program-specific databases, spreadsheets and other respective tools contributing to continual improvement and strengthening of the data management system
- Ensure accurate and consistent data entry on a regular and timely basis
- Test databases, clean up data, and make necessary modifications when needed
- Ensure backups and data protection procedures of collected data
- Support in maintaining proper filing structures ensuring data integrity and availability
- Provide information and explanation to the team(s) on database(s), data management procedures, etc.
- Support in implementation of mobile data collection (MDC) system: development of forms and their integration into data management systems
- Support in collection, analysis and dissemination of information relevant to the projects’ activities upon requests
- Contribute to donor and project/program reports, including but not limited to analysis of monitoring data (e.g. output and outcome), GORS, Indicator Tracking Table, assessments, field reports, Power BI reports, etc.
- Support in preparing and provision of data visualizations as needed
- Provide support and assistance to projects for better use of data to target beneficiaries most in need
- Maintain accurate documentation of the projects’ activities (e.g. monitoring data, assessments, compiling beneficiary records, tracking distributions, all cash and no cash transactions)
- Other duties as assigned by the M&E Coordinator / Technical Officer (Information Management) or his designee
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context is desirable
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts is desirable
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good command of spoken and written English is desirable
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian is required
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
The following knowledge and skills may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, and prior experience and on the job training:
- Higher education
- Relevant work experience, i.e. working with data management and/or data analysis
- Solid background in use of Microsoft Office software package. Strong Excel skills
- Knowledge of Power BI, Tableau or similar visualization tool is desirable
- Knowledge of mobile data collection platforms e.g., KoboToolbox or other ODK-based including XLS form coding and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of GIS packages (e.g. QGIS) is desirable
- Knowledge of managing data protection, including data encryption, user and group management, views, and security modes is desirable
- The position requires a person who is self-starter, who can accomplish the tasks with little or no supervision. He/she must be diligent in paperwork, have integrity and be able to cooperate with field staff
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Type of contract: till the end of the year, contingent upon availability of funds
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Severodonetsk, Ukraine.
For submitting CVs please follow the link
Please note that we will contact only shortlisted candidates.
NRC retains the discretion to cancel the recruitment.
NRC might review applications before advert deadline, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.