Location: Kyiv, UKRAINE
Application Deadline: 30/10/2021
Type of Contract: FTA Local
Post Level: GS-5
Expected Duration of Assignment: 1 year with a possibility of extension
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
The Information Management Assistant (IMA) works under direct supervision of the Head of Information Management Unit based in Kyiv, supporting full range of information management activities of the OCHA main office and field offices in Ukraine, including but not limited to data collection and analysis, document management, dissemination of information, maintaining accurate information management systems.
In addition, he/she will provide IM support to clusters/sectors mainly through their HPC related activities and the maintenance of the Who does What Where for Whom (5W) at field level. The IMA will ensure that the quality of data produced by OCHA offices corresponds to the highest standards and that any data gaps are eliminated.
Duties & Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support the Information Management Unit and other OCHA entities with data analysis and data visualization
- Provision of technical support in developing and maintaining efficient and accurate information management systems
- Provision of technical support in GIS cartographic production
- Provision of support in communication and information exchange with relevant stakeholders (UN Agencies, Fund, Programmes, partners etc.) to strengthen data flow and the quality of received data.
Support the Information Management Unit and other OCHA entities with data analysis and data visualization by:
- In collaboration with the Information Management Focal Points in the field as well as humanitarian partners, offers, provides simple and effective data collection systems to ensure the update, the consolidation and analysis at the central level of: contact lists, performance monitoring of the humanitarian response, monitoring the humanitarian situation, monitoring data on risk groups, 5W, maintenance of data platforms such as HDX and HR.info;
- Conducts data cleaning and data verification exercises.
Provision of technical support in developing and maintaining efficient and accurate information management systems by:
- Manages structured archive of data, both digital and manual, collected from partners, documents and analysis of products generated by the central and other offices;
- As required, organizes and maintains OCHA’s internal file management system on a cloud-based platform;
- If required, deploys to other OCHA field locations in affected regions of Ukraine to assist the set-up of emergency IM structures and tools.
Provision of technical support in GIS cartographic production by:
- Upon request supports effective GIS mapping activities (including reference and thematic maps) to address information needs of OCHA field offices.
Provision of support in communication and information exchange with relevant stakeholders (UN Agencies, Fund, Programmes, partners etc.) to strengthen data flow and the quality of received data by:
- Develops strong links with IM focal points in other organizations to help clusters identify priority information requirements and promote coordination and information sharing among organizations;
- Supports Information Management database development and data analysis techniques address needs at field level;
- Promotes data sharing and transparency.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the IMA will carry out any other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of Information Management Unit and OCHA office in Ukraine. Effective data management together with accurate analysis, visualization and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of OCHA Information Management products (including but not limited to maps and infographics), promote unified and high-level data standards among UN agencies, contribute in improving office day-to-day information flow.
Knowledge of information management systems; data collection and data analysis tools; demonstrated ability in applying technical expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems; strong technical and analytical skills in the area of information management; demonstrates problem-solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks; shows ability to conduct data collection using various methods; has conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported; Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems; Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work; Good knowledge of IM-related processes; Strong IT skills; Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems.
- Secondary education is required. Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Communications, Information Systems, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Disaster and Emergency Management, or related area would be considered as an advantage, but not a requirement.
- 5 years (with secondary education) or 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant professional experience in the fields of activity concerned (information management, data collection and data processing, database management, data analysis.
- Thorough knowledge in the use of computers and Microsoft Office software (MS Word, Excel,PowerBi.), current use of spreadsheets and database, and experience in the use of applications or electronic management system is required.
- Advanced level experience with the essential Adobe Suite software suite (Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) is an advantage.
- Experience in the United Nations and/or experience in joint collaboration with partner organizations on projects would be considered as an advantage.
- Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.
If you wish to apply for this positions, please apply online: https://estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/1318/?utm_medium=jobshare