Project Title: “Engaging young people from eastern Ukraine in the promotion of social cohesion, national unity, and a culture of dialogue”
Post Title: Project Associate
Post Level: Service Contract, SB3/Mid
Position number: 00164454
Duration of the service: one yearwith possible extension
Duty Station: Kyiv
Full/part time: Full time
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist, Project Associate supports coordination and implementation of UNFPA-led activities related to the work of a joint UN Project implemented by UNDP, UNFPA and OHCHR under coordination support of RCO aimed to to pave the way for a sustainable peace in Ukraine following a political settlement of the conflict in eastern Ukraine by engaging young women and men from Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson regions of Ukraine and from the capital city of Kyiv in decision-making processes to inform the development of peacebuilding policies and strategies and to promote social cohesion, national unity and a culture of dialogue. In doing so, the project will address obstacles to sustainable peace in eastern Ukraine, in accordance with relevant Ukrainian legislation and relevant United Nations General Assembly and Security Council resolutions. S/he is responsible for managing the project in the following areas:
- effective and efficient analytical and administrative support to the Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist, including procurement, budgeting and financial control to ensure smooth operation of UNFPA-led activities of the joint UN Project;
- operational support to implementation of all UNFPA-led project activities and initiatives in implementing the joint UN Project, including its biggest component Youth Peace Leadership Programme (YPLP): Leaders of sustainable communities (LSC);
- support to timely and quality reporting and monitoring of all Project activities;
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. The Fund has been operating globally since 1969 in more than 150 countries and territories. UNFPA focuses on women and young people because these are the groups whose rights are often compromised. UNFPA has been active in Ukraine since 1997.
In accordance with the organisational mandate and national development priorities of Ukraine, UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, implements a country programme of technical assistance to Ukraine for 2018-2022. Among several priorities, the programme seeks to contribute to supporting platforms to promote the participation of young people in decision-making processes related to their lives; promoting life skills to allow young people to become more socially active, politically engaged and economically resilient; and advancing the youth and peacebuilding agenda in support of United Nations Security Council resolution 2250. Within the current joint UN Project UNFPA will aim at equipping young women and men with skills and capacities in civic engagement, advocacy and social change, while at the same time in liaison with UNDP and OHCHR strengthen government capacities for institutionalizing support to initiatives across the country that foster dialogue on diversity and inclusivity, tolerance and trust, and shared norms and values, all of which reinforce a sense of solidarity and national unity. The focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment will be a central principle, including activities that target the leadership and soft skills potential of girls, while sensitizing boys on gender equality.
UNFPA is seeking highly-motivated candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in CO programme results.
The joint UN Project “Engaging young people from eastern Ukraine in the promotion of social cohesion, national unity, and a culture of dialogue” (the Project implemented by UNFPA, UNDP and OHCHR covers three geographical locations (regions): Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson regions and the capital city of Kyiv. The Project focuses on the delivery of the following outcomes:
- Implementation by national and local authorities of policies and practices that enable young women and men to actively participate in establishing a constituency for peace.
- Engaging young men and women meaningfully and effectively, and in an inclusive manner, in national decision-making processes.
Project Associate works in a client, quality and outcome-oriented manner in close collaboration with Youth Programme Team members, all units of the UNFPA Country Office (CO), UNFPA implementing partners (IPs), as well as personnel of other UN agencies to exchange information and to ensure smooth Project functioning. S/he plays a vital role in planning, coordination, and monitoring of Project activities with national state bodies/partners (Ministry of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Culture and Information Policy, All Ukrainian Youth Center, etc.) and local partners at the national and regional levels.
S/he will be responsible for contributing to the achievements of Project’s objectives and implementing YPLP initiatives throughout the Project cycle. The Project Associate supports Project Coordinators/Youth Engagement Specialist by providing operational and administrative support and information required to make programmatic decisions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Project implementation planning, reporting and documentation
- Coordinate implementation and ensure oversight of project related activities under YPLP and communications components under the overall guidance of Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist;
- Work in close coordination with joint UN Project partners, other UNFPA projects, local and regional partners, ensuring optimum participation of all relevant stakeholders;
- Prepares inputs for Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist to joint UN Project and UNFPA specific annual and implementation work plans
- Prepares inputs for all type of Project reports in comprehensive, outcome-oriented, evidence-based and timely manner based on the requirements of the UNFPA and PBSO;
- Monitor project and relevant country programme activities on youth engagement and participation by keeping a close record of activities and expenditures, revision of logframes, work plans (including those of IPs) and result matrix to track the progress towards set indicators;
- Analyse designated project components implementation and provide regular updates to Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist highlighting achieved progress, bottlenecks and possible solutions;
- Contributes to visibility of UNFPA and joint UN Project through public relations, advocacy, working with the mass media and other communications activities;
- Draft project related correspondence, meeting minutes, TORs and other documents necessary for project management, translate project related documents, provide interpretation when required;
- Participate in data collection, analysis and maintenance of project files and related databases, including database and mapping of contacts of governmental and non-governmental institutions, local authorities, academia, CSOs, youth organizations, other international development organizations or programmes working in the area of youth;
- Prepare, deliver and provide follow-up to project activities (meetings, roundtables, conferences, trainings, other public activities);
- Performs assigned tasks within TRIP system for UNFPA project management;
- Conducts monitoring and field visits.
Administrative, procurement and finance support
- Provide support to project financial operations in accordance with UNFPA rules and regulations and relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Prepare requests for direct payment to Finance unit in accordance with the approved budget;
- Performs assigned tasks within the Global Programming System;
- Assist with project procurement and planning, ensure procurement is in accordance with UNFPA Procurement Procedures;
- Provide logistical support to project activities including travel arrangements, accommodation, collect supporting documents and organise the venue, assist in preparation of travel assignments for missions;
- Perform other tasks as requested by Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist and UNFPA Programme Analyst, Youth/HIV;
- Assists in developing tools and mechanisms for effective and efficient implementation of programme and project activities and budgets;
- Perform other duties as might be required
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience of working in the field of project management, programme/project support service, finance and/or other related fields;
- Experience of working in/with the area of youth engagement, youth participation, social cohesion, Youth Peace and Security and youth-led peacebuilding or related areas will be a strong asset;
- Experience in preparing workshops, seminars, training events, round tables and conferences;
- Strong analytical skills, in particular conducting desk reviews and preparing analytical notes, briefs and presentations in visually compelling ways;
- Experience of working on similar positions with international organisations/projects will be considered as an advantage;
- Knowledge of ATLAS system and/or UN procedures and working methods, particularly UNFPA policies and procedures will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in MS Office package, Google applications and teleconferencing tools.
Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Gender Studies, Project Management, Finance, Business Administration or related field is required.
Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Please apply through the link Project Associate by November 1, 2021