Project Title: “Engaging young people from eastern Ukraine in the promotion of social cohesion, national unity, and a culture of dialogue”
Post Title: Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist
Post Level: Service Contract, SB4/3
Position number: 00164453
Duration of the service: one year with possible extension
Duty Station: Kyiv
Full/part time: Full time
Under the supervision of the UNFPA Programme Analyst Youth/HIV, Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist is primary responsible for overall coordination and implementation of UNFPA-led activities related to the work of a joint UN Project implemented by UNDP, UNFPA and OHCHR under coordination support of RCO aimed to to pave the way for a sustainable peace in Ukraine following a political settlement of the conflict in eastern Ukraine by engaging young women and men from Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson regions of Ukraine and from the capital city of Kyiv in decision-making processes to inform the development of peacebuilding policies and strategies and to promote social cohesion, national unity and a culture of dialogue. In doing so, the project will address obstacles to sustainable peace in eastern Ukraine, in accordance with relevant Ukrainian legislation and relevant United Nations General Assembly and Security Council resolutions. S/he is responsible for managing the project in the following areas:
- Development, coordination and implementation of all UNFPA-led project activities and initiatives in implementing the joint UN Project and its interventions, including key component “Youth Peace Leadership Programme (YPLP): Leaders of sustainable communities (LSC)” and its streams;
- quality reporting, monitoring, assessment and research planning in support of sound implementation of designated YPLP project streams;
- advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. The Fund operates globally since 1969 in more than 150 countries and territories. UNFPA focuses on women and young people, because these are the groups whose rights are often compromised UNFPA has been active in Ukraine since 1997.
In accordance with the organisational mandate and national development priorities of Ukraine, UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, implements a country programme of technical assistance to Ukraine for 2018-2022. Among several priorities, the programme seeks to contribute to supporting platforms to promote the participation of young people in decision-making processes related to their lives; promoting life skills to allow young people to become more socially active, politically engaged and economically resilient; and advancing the youth and peacebuilding agenda, in support of United Nations Security Council resolution 2250. Within the current joint UN Project UNFPA will aim at equipping young women and men with skills and capacities in civic engagement, advocacy and social change, while at the same time in liaison with UNDP and OHCHR strengthen government capacities for institutionalizing support to initiatives across the country that foster dialogue on diversity and inclusivity, tolerance and trust, and shared norms and values, all of which reinforce a sense of solidarity and national unity. The focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment will be a central principle, including activities that target the leadership and soft skills potential of girls, while sensitizing boys on gender equality.
UNFPA is seeking highly-motivated candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in CO programme results.
The joint UN Project “Engaging young people from eastern Ukraine in the promotion of social cohesion, national unity, and a culture of dialogue” (the Project implemented by UNFPA, UNDP and OHCHR covers three geographical locations (regions): Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson regions and the capital city of Kyiv. The Project focuses on the delivery of the following outcomes:
- Implementation by national and local authorities of policies and practices that enable young women and men to actively participate in establishing a constituency for peace
- Engaging young men and women meaningfully and effectively, and in an inclusive manner, in national decision-making processes
Project Coordinator/Youth Engagement Specialist works in a client, quality and outcome-oriented manner in close collaboration with Youth Programme Team members, all units of the UNFPA Country Office (CO), UNFPA implementing partners (IPs), as well as personnel of other UN agencies to exchange information and to ensure smooth Project functioning. S/he plays a vital role in planning, coordination, and monitoring of Project activities with national state bodies/partners (Ministry of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Culture and Information Policy, All Ukrainian Youth Center, etc), local partners at the national and regional levels.
S/he will be responsible for achievement of all UNFPA-led activities under joint UN Project’s objectives, planned results in accordance with the Project document and work plans in liaison with UNDP, OHCHR and RCO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Project management and implementation
- Ensure timely and effective implementation of project’s objectives and oversight of project related activities under UNFPA-led component of joint UN Project;
- Deliver results in accordance with the project’s document, project implementation plan and work plans of IPs, communication plan and result log-frame
- Ensures timely preparation of Project work plans, procurement and communications plans as well as other related documents for timely commencement of the Project activities. Develop detailed implementation pan, oversees its progress for UNFPA-led component
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the work of all Project IPs, experts and consultants, including preparation of the required terms of reference for consultants, national experts and subcontractors recruited under the Project, forward planning of Project activities and budget expenditures, activity scheduling, and reporting
- Monitor project and relevant country programme activities on youth engagement and participation by keeping a close record of activities and expenditures, revision of logframes, work plans (including those of IPs) and result matrix to track the progress towards set indicators;
- Develops and oversees implementation of UNFP knowledge products such as (1) online courses in human rights & development, youth peace and security, population dynamics, human capital and sustainable development, (2) online advance training of the YPLP and (3) online course for young people on blogging with particular focus on girls and women, boys and men specifically from the vulnerable groups of the defines target project regions
- Prepares comprehensive, outcome and output-oriented, evidence-based inputs to progress reports under UNFPA-led activities of joint UN Project based on the requirements of the UNFPA and PBSO, as well as ad-hoc technical reports, when required
- Represents UNFPA at the Project Joint Steering Committee (JSC) under co-chairmanship of the Ministry of Youth and Sports of Ukraine and the UN Resident Coordinator (RC) in Ukraine
- Ensure adjustment of the project activities and interventions to COVID-19 response including piloting innovative digital solutions and online modalities;
- Perform other tasks as requested by UNFPA Programme Analyst, Youth/HIV and UNFPA Senior Management
Inter-Agency coordination and partnerships building
- Work in close coordination with joint UN Project partners, other UNFPA projects, national (Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Culture and Information Policy, Ministry of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories, All Ukrainian Youth Center, etc.) and regional partners, ensuring optimum participation of all relevant stakeholders in planned project activities;
- Develop professional platform for networking and partnership building with local authorities of the target regions, CSOs, youth centres and organizations, other international development organizations or programmes working in the area of youth engagement, youth participation, social cohesion, Youth Peace and Security and youth-led peacebuilding;
- Ensure visibility of UNFPA and joint UN Project through public relations, advocacy, working with the mass media and other communications activities.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Promotes Project knowledge products, identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing, learning and planning future strategies;
- Provides support to effective advocacy of Project activities
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the Youth Programme and CO.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum three (3) years of relevant progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level of progressively responsible experience in project management and coordination/implementation services or related field preferably in the international environment;
- Experience and understanding of implementing human rights, youth engagement and youth participation, social cohesion, Youth Peace and Security and youth-led peacebuilding or related areas will be a strong asset;
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments is an advantage.
- Experience of establishing effective partnerships with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into youth engagement and participation at the national and sub-national levels;
- Proven successful experience in developing of evidence-based publications, reports, advocacy materials is desirable;
- Experience of working on similar positions with international organisations/projects will be considered as an advantage;
- Knowledge of ATLAS system and/or UN procedures and working methods, particularly UNFPA policies and procedures will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in MS Office package, Google applications, and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and teleconferencing tools.
Advanced degree in Social Sciences, Public Policy, International Relations, Development Studies, Project Management, Business Administration or related field is required.
Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Please apply through the link Project Coordinator YE by November 1, 2021