Deadline for Application: 15 October 2021
Position: Legislative Expert
Employment Type: Full-time, six-month contract
Reports to: Team Leader, Defence Governance Reform Initiative
Remuneration: Fees are subject to negotiation and must not exceed established market rates.
Committed to Inclusivity and Diversity: Alinea provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants on the basis of merit.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Alinea is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Given the nature of our work, candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks and to enhanced background checks as appropriate.
About Alinea International Ltd.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 515 projects worldwide. https://www.alineainternational.com/
Alinea International is recruiting a Legislative Expert for the Defence Governance Reform Initiative for the for Canada’s Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer (PROTECT) program. PROTECT is a defence and security sector reform program funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented in Kyiv, Ukraine. PROTECT provides short-term expert (Ukrainian and international) deployment and capacity to reforms in the defence and security sector. The program responds to the needs of Ukraine’s defence and security institutions and agencies and focuses on building strong analytical approaches in gender equality; women peace and security (WPS); and results-based management into reform initiatives, while lending expertise in the management of reforms.
PROTECT program outcomes are defined as follows:
- Improved governance and democratic accountability of Ukraine’s security and defence sector;
- Improved planning, coordination, gender responsiveness and strategic analysis of security and defence sector reforms;
- Improved implementation of reforms delivered through the Ukrainian security and defence sector.
The Legislative Dialogue Expert works under the supervision of the PROTECT Program Defence Governance RI Team Leader and with the assistance of the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor to:
- Liaise with the recipients including Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces of Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada, Cabinet of Ministers, responsible Government Ministries and other government offices regarding policy dialogue development tools and instructions;
- Conduct desk reviews of the relevant legislation and public policies in the security and defence sector;
- Provide legislative drafting assistance in line with national, technical and procedural requirements;
- Research concepts, ideas, principles, practices, and products relating to defence governance reform efforts to support the planning, execution, and reporting of the RI project and its activities;
- Develop oral and written products relating to defence governance reform efforts to support the planning, execution, and reporting of the RI project and its activities;
- Contribute technical advice and expertise relating to defence governance reform efforts during formal and informal events and other activities within the RI project.
- Serve as a technical expert, under the leadership of the Defence Governance RI Team Leader and in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor, on defence governance issues and activities.
- Ensure efficient, constructive, diplomatic, and professional interaction with counterparts in the Government of Ukraine, international community and civil society, and other components of the PROTECT Program regarding the RI activities;
- Develop, coordinate, update, and propose to the Defence Governance RI Team Leader approaches and methodologies for the execution of the relevant RI activities;
- Cooperate with the locally-based PROTECT Program Gender Equality Expert to ensure that the RI provides ample opportunity for the integration of gender-based analysis;
- Cooperate with the locally-based PROTECT Program Results-Based Management (RBM) Expert to ensure that the RI is developed and executed in accordance with RBM principles.
- Research, develop, and propose to the Defence Governance RI Team Leader and in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor written products relating to Defence Governance RI for use in the planning, execution, and reporting of reform activities;
- Assist in the planning and execution of events (workshops, seminars, conferences, etc.), under the leadership of the Defence Governance RI Team Leader, in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor, in concert with the relevant organizations within the Government of Ukraine, in accordance with the approved approach and methodology in a manner designed to achieve the objectives of the RI;
- Review and comment on products developed by representatives of the Government of Ukraine, under the leadership of the Defence Governance RI Team Leader and in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor, for the RI activities;
- Guide and advise the representatives of the Government of Ukraine, under the leadership of the Defence Governance RI Team Leader and in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor, in the development and implementation of specific RI activities;
- Ensure compliance, under the leadership of the Defence Governance RI Team Leader and in cooperation with the PROTECT Program Senior Defence Advisor, to the approved approach and methodology for the execution of the RI;
- Support the PROTECT Program leadership in positioning and communicating the results of the PROTECT work regarding the reforms in the security and defence sector;
- Develop, coordinate, update, and propose to the Defence Governance RI Team Leader inputs to the PROTECT program management reports for the Defence Governance RI;
- Provide a weekly written report in email format to the Defence Governance RI Team Leader of all activities undertaken to support PROTECT Program activities which describes taskings and responses and includes all deliverables in both Adobe PDF and Microsoft Office formats (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, as appropriate)
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Working proficiency in English and Ukrainian languages;
- A Master of Law or Public Administration degree or qualifications in Public Policy, Political Science, and/or relevant area;
- At least two years experience in legislative and regulatory issues or government policy development issues in Ukraine;
- Knowledge of the security and defence sector of Ukraine and understanding of the organizational structure and activities of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Skilled in various facilitation methodologies and workshop design and execution;
- Capable of working with and managing government-sensitive information;
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to SvitlanaU@alineainternational.com by 15 October 2021. Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate, USD, inclusive of benefits.
Applications are encouraged from women, members of racial and ethnic minorities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and other equity seeking groups.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: https://www.alineainternational.com/