Who We Are
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals reach their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create person to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
The Physical Safety Trainer, under the supervision of the Deputy Manager, will be hired to prepare and deliver regionally contextualized safety trainings and workshops to journalists and other media practitioners.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- University degree/ Minimum 2 years of experience designing and implementing curriculum for physical safety trainings, preferably in emergency protocols, risk assessment, first aid and safety. Substantial experience working in high-risk environments or emergency situations.
- Demonstrated expertise in areas such as training programming and curriculum development.
- In-depth knowledge of journalism sector as well as operating environment and media landscape in Eurasia region.
- Must be open to learning and adapting training material for a holistic approach combining psychosocial, physical, digital curricula and risk management as well as piloting new adult learning techniques.
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English and Russian. Knowledge of Ukrainian preferred.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication, and interpersonal skills; and
- Experience of working constructively as part of a small team.
Your Daily Tasks
- Ensure integrated approach to trainings and training activities (i.e. standard operating procedures and risk-mitigation strategies) through working closely with other program trainers, as well as other program staff.
- Create and contextualize physical safety and risk management lessons and methodology to suit participants’ needs and ensure integrated approach in training materials.
- Deliver trainings in physical safety and risk management that reflect an integrated safety framework.
- Support the development and updating of M&E tools that take into account local context and beneficiary profile.
- Work with the Deputy Center Manager and technical team to develop and update training curriculum as needed.
- In close coordination with trainers: develop, implement and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) for activities in training locations. Under the supervision of the deputy center manager, may be responsible for risk assessments for all training locations.
- Maintain a local and regional situational awareness and coordinate project responses to (emerging) threats, analyzing and disseminating information.
- Coordinate with the Deputy Center Manager on needs and risk assessment work prior to trainings on an as needed basis.
- Coordinate with the Deputy Center Manager on risk-mitigation strategies and trainee follow-up on an as needed basis.
- Report on activities as required by Deputy Center Manager
- May be responsible for supporting the program’s gender and social inclusion initiative.
- Participate in skill share with team and peers.
- Participate in meetings and/or calls with staff; and
- Other duties as assigned by Deputy Center Manager, Center Manager, and/or Program Director.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter outlining relevant experience.
Prior to any engagement, you will be asked to provide references. IREX will not extend an offer until the reference check is completed.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity.
All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled