Title of Position:
National MHPSS Consultant
Emergency and Stabilization Unit, IOM Ukraine
Background of the Consultancy:
According to the Ministry of Veterans Affairs of Ukraine (MinVet), there were more than 400,000 veterans of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine who returned to their homes as of 2021. The research carried out in 2019-2020 demonstrated the variety of challenges faced by veterans during their reintegration. The survey of women veterans (2020)  showed that a fifth of them mentioned having severe psychological stress during service. Forty-seven (47%) per cent of women reported having varying degrees of difficulties in communicating with other people after returning from service. Furthermore, the survey of veterans and their family members carried out in Kyiv city and Kyiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Lviv oblasts (2019)  identified that veterans feel excluded from society (32%). Almost half of the veterans (49%) reported biased attitudes or unfair treatment of veterans in different aspects of life.
Since January 2021, IOM is implementing the European Union-funded project “Enhancing Successful Reintegration of Veterans from the Conflict in Eastern Ukraine and their Family Members through Socio-Economic Support” all over Ukraine. This is the second phase of the project, which contributes to enhancing the Government of Ukraine’s efforts to ensure sustainable reintegration of veterans from the conflict and their families in Eastern Ukraine, including the provision of qualified psychosocial support. As part of the project, IOM is implementing a nationwide survey of veterans living in 24 oblasts of Ukraine and in the city of Kyiv. The survey aims to collect and analyze data on the different aspects of the reintegration of veterans, including their needs of psychosocial support.
Nature of the Consultancy:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and with overall coordination of Emergency and Stabilization Coordinator, and direct supervision of the Portfolio Specialist (Reconciliation), the Consultant will support research activities implemented under the project. The intended output of the Consultancy is a desk research of the GoU’s programmes aimed at provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) to the veterans at both national and regional levels. The research will include (but will not be limited to) an analysis of the state and quality of the provision of MHPSS support to veterans through the GoU’s programmes. The results of the desk research will complement and enhance a comprehensive report prepared based on the nationwide survey of veterans to be carried out by IOM.
Tasks to be performed under this assignment:
- To conduct a desk research of veterans-related policies, normative documents and state of play in the area of MHPSS support to veterans and their family members in Ukraine at both regional and regional levels; as well as to analyse the aspects of the medical and psychological rehabilitation processes, functioning of the rehabilitation system, administration and management of these processes, and existing approaches aimed at assessing the quality of the provision of support and rehabilitation;
- To carry out the analysis of best practices from other countries with similar contexts to inform feasible pilot interventions aimed at provision of the MHPSS support to veterans and their family members.
- To analyse the recent studies and/or components of the studies (both quantitative and qualitative) dedicated to the provision of MHPSS support to veterans and their family members in Ukraine.
- To analyse the data of the IOM’s nationwide survey (both quantitative and qualitative) of the veterans and compare them with the findings of the survey conducted by IOM in 2019; to complement the narrative on MHPSS.
- To provide a summary of desk review, research findings, and at least 3 practical recommendations or suggestions on the approaches/models aimed at the provision of MHPSS support to veterans and their family members, which could inform feasible pilot interventions.
- 7. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- To review and enhance the initial chapters of the report on research findings of the veterans’ nationwide survey dedicated to the MHPSS, complementing the text with analytical narratives derived from desk reviews of veterans-related policies, documentation, and studies.
In close consultation and coordination with IOM, the Consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables as part of the assignment:
- Inception report, confirming the understanding of the assignment, its goals, and objectives, and suggested list of informational sources to be analysed.
- Summary of research findings and recommendations based on the results of the desk research complementing the narrative based on the IOM’s interventions aimed at MHPSS support provision.
- Enhance the nationwide survey report on the initial findings with conclusions, suggestions, and recommendations based on the initial report provided by the Service Provider, to be further shared for IOM feedback.
- Based on the final report, develop a presentation (in PowerPoint or similar format) containing the recommendations on the MHPSS interventions containing for IOM review and feedback.
All deliverables are to be written in English or Ukrainian and meet good language standards. The final report should meet the standards laid out in the UNEG Quality Checklist for Evaluation Reports.
Consultancy workplan with deliverables and monitoring points:
This consultancy is preliminarily scheduled to start on September 18, 2021 and is expected to end on November 19, 2021.
The tentative timeline that could be amended upon discussions with the consultant is presented below:
7 business days
Draft summary of research findings and recommendations prepared based on desk research
20 business days
Draft of enhanced chapter of the nationwide survey report complemented by results of the desk research (incl. conclusions, and recommendations)
25 business days
Final summary of research findings and recommendations prepared based on desk review
30 business days
Final enhanced chapter of the nationwide survey report, (incl. conclusions, and recommendations)
35 business days
Draft Presentation in PowerPoint or similar format
40 business days
Final Presentation in PowerPoint or similar format
45 business days
Total consultancy duration: around 45 business days.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences including Psychology, Anthropology, Social Work, or related field from an accredited academic institution and at least 3 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of professional work experience.
- Experience in MHPSS, social work, counselling or related field;
- Experience in working with veterans and their family members in particular in the field of in MHPSS, social work, counselling;
- Report drafting, writing, and reporting skills, confident user of the Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel, PowerPoint).
Knowledge of Ukrainian is required. Fluency in English is an asset.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and cover letter) to [email protected] by September 9, 2021, at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Private entrepreneurs (PE) cannot be considered as applicable for providing services under this consultancy.
 Research of the Status of Female Veterans and Services Provided to Them. DIF May 2020. https://dif.org.ua/en/article/research-of-the-status-of-female-veterans-and-services-provided-to-them
 Life after conflict: Survey on the sociodemographic and socioeconomic characteristics of veterans of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine and their families. IOM January 2020. https://www.iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/veterans_reintegration_survey_2020_eng.pdf