Applications are accepted on the rolling basis
Employment Type: Full-Time, open to Ukrainian Nationals
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Reports to: Ukraine Field Program Director and Canadian WPS Expert
Alinea International provides management and technical expertise to developing and transitional country partners on projects that promote governance and public sector reform, inclusive growth and meaningful opportunities for people to improve their lives. Over the past 30 years, Alinea has implemented more than 350 projects and assignments in 65 countries worldwide. Among these, Alinea’s Ukraine portfolio currently consists of projects in policing, public sector reform and governance for international funding agencies including Global Affairs Canada, Foreign Commonwealth Office, the UK’s Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (formerly DFID) and the European Union.
Alinea is recruiting an experienced Gender Equality Expert for the project entitled Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer (PROTECT).
PROTECT is a 2 year, 3M CAN$ security sector reform project funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented in Kyiv, Ukraine. PROTECT provides short-term expert (Ukrainian and international) deployment and capacity to reforms in the security sector. The project is aligned with Canada’s foreign and defence policy objectives and complements the institutional component of Canada’ Peacekeeping Operation UNIFIER. The project responds to the needs of Ukraine’s security institutions and agencies and focuses on building strong analytical approaches in gender equality; women peace and security (WPS); social inclusion; and results-based management into reform initiatives, while lending expertise in the management of reforms – all in the changing context of the COVID-19 global pandemic.
Project outcomes are defined as follows:
- Improved governance and democratic accountability of Ukraine’s security sector
- Improved planning, coordination, gender responsiveness and strategic analysis of security sector reforms
- Improved implementation of reforms delivered through the Ukrainian security sector
The Gender Equality Expert will be responsible for advising the PROTECT Field Project Manager and technical experts on gender equality and WPS issues and working with national and international stakeholders in advancing the WPS agenda. The Gender Equality Expert will report to the Field Project Manager and the Canadian Women Peace and Security Expert, and work with Canada-based technical/support staff to ensure that the project is implemented in accordance with Alinea’s team-based approach to project implementation, corporate code of conduct, and policies.
The GE Expert will be responsible for the needs assessment, planning and implementation of gender equality components of the PROTECT program, as follows
- Develop and implement a project level WPS agenda and gender strategy ensuring all operational and programming activities consider, model and actively promote gender equality and gender mainstreaming;
- Mentor team members working on different Reform Initiatives (RIs);
- Design and deliver training to the PROTECT team, in collaboration with the Canadian WPS Expert, and to RI technical experts;
- Ensure that sound gender and WPS analysis informs RIs as they design, manage, and monitor the scope of subject-matter interventions with PROTECT program beneficiaries and stakeholders;
- Advise RIs regarding GE approaches and application specifically for their mandates;
- Identify opportunities to integrate and implement Ukraine’s UN 1325 commitments (as delineated in Ukraine’s’ National Action Plan for the implementation of UN Resolution 1325) in the RIs’ work;
- Provide RIs with professional development support including coaching, mentoring, training on the topic of GE and WPS;
- Support the design, implementation and data aggregation for needs assessments conducted in support of the RIs;
- Provide advice on appropriate gender sensitive indicators in the performance measurement framework and support colleagues in the monitoring and reporting of program results;
- Exercise quality assurance oversight on products related to GE and WPS and institute early warning systems to detect GE weaknesses in program implementation and advise on corrective measures;
- Develop and nurture positive working relations with a wide network of partners around gender equality and social inclusion, including governments of Canada and Ukraine, gender focal points for development partners, media (with approval of PROTECT Project Principal) and relevant civil society organizations.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s qualifications (minimum) in gender and/or social inclusion studies, political science, public administration, or a relevant domain
- A minimum of 3 years of experience advising international projects on gender equality and women’s empowerment in public administration reform contexts;
- Broad and innovative perspective on integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment into project components;
- Exceptional analytical capacity and policy formulation skills
- Capacity building and training skills
- Strong communication and presentation/facilitation skills
- Demonstrable organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate with practical experience on key Microsoft applications
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and Ukrainian
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV (6 page max, in English) to [email protected]. Please include the position title in your subject line, and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate, USD, inclusive of benefits.
We welcome all applications, regardless of ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression; candidates that belong to underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. The recruitment process is based on fair standards.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquires please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: https://www.alineainternational.com/