The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Civic Program Manager (PM) to manage and implement programs to strengthen civil society organizations and civic initiatives for one of its programs in the Eurasia region. From this office, the new PM will contribute technical expertise to, and manage day-to-day implementation of NDI civic advocacy and engagement programs. S/he will also contribute to grants management, reporting, and other administrative, financial and compliance issues. If s/he has applicable expertise the PM will also contribute to programs to promote women’s political participation.
The ideal candidate has: 1) progressively responsible experience in organizing, advocacy and management roles at civil society organizations 2) specific experience in training and advising local civil society partners in closed political environments or developing democracies, and 3) written and oral language fluency in English and Russian. The anticipated start date is August 15th contingent on funding approval.
- Contribute to program design and manage day-to-day implementation of programming focused on development of strong membership- or constituency-based civic organizations, grassroots organizing and advocacy at local, regional and national levels;
- Broaden civic activists’ access to and use of a variety of tools and strategies that can be employed to build citizen movements and influence decision making. This should include employing both traditional advocacy methodologies, as well as innovative approaches that incorporate technology and leverage social and broadcast media;
- Under supervision of the Resident Senior Director (Chief of Party) initiate programming, manage spending, and oversee subgranting.
- Coordinate program partnership with international and local partners to ensure streamlined, effective programming;
- In collaboration with Resident Senior Director, liaise with donors to ensure compliance with operational and reporting requirements and achievement of programmatic goals;
- Manage systems to ensure adherence to NDI Washington, D.C. policies and procedures, as well as to funder/donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions;
- In collaboration with field and DC staff, facilitate regular monitoring and evaluation of NDI program activities and results; data collection, analysis and application; and integration of lessons learned over the life of the program; work with local partners to engage in continual reflection, learning, and adaptation of their own civic initiatives;
- Manage in-country staff contributions toward the development, review and timely submission of program-related materials, including project workplans and regular reports that measure and evaluate program results;
- Undergraduate degree in a field of study related to political science, international relations, public policy, international development or a related field preferred; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience as a practitioner with civil society organizations, including, illustratively as a grassroots organizer, advocacy manager or organizational manager/executive.
- Strong practitioner command of effective tools both offline and digital, and approaches for fostering organizational capacity development of civil society groups
- Experience mentoring emerging civic initiatives and leaders, and experience with movement building and political activism.
- In depth knowledge and experience planning and managing digital outreach and social media
- Experience working in developing democracies without traditions of responsive government or civic activism. Eurasia region preferred.
- Familiarity with adult education practices and incentives; ability to develop formal curricula and training materials
- Proven experience forming strong relationships with civil society organizations, political leaders and members of the donor/diplomatic community
- Previous experience as a trainer, advisor and/or consultant able to help partners integrate and manage individual and organizational change
- Proven interpersonal and managerial skills and cultural sensitivity to manage large in-country teams
- Experience in creating and managing multi-faceted systems to maximize financial and programmatic integrity
- Strong political analysis skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- A team player.
- Written and oral communication skills in the Russian language are strongly preferred.
- Experience with women’s organizations or managing gender equity-related assistance programs.
- Experience with U.S. government-funded programming and/or other funding organisations is a pro.
This is a field-based position that may require a remote start given covid situation in the country where the office is based. Pandemic permitting, successful candidate will be expected to relocate; allowances for relocation and housing provided per NDI policies. This is a partially accompanied (one adult dependent) post.
Only candidates considered will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and CV online through the NDI website by July 15, 2021.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
To apply for this position, please visit the NDI website at: http://www.ndi.org/careers.