FAO Ukraine is a project management Office headed by the Regional Programme Leader (RPL) under the operational responsibility of the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia. FAO Ukraine is contributing to the development of national policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of FAO Regional Programme Leader for Europe and Central Asia, and the administrative supervision of FAO Ukraine Head of Office, under the overall guidance of FAO Project Office, the Programme team in Ukraine and technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer Forestry Component, the consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assess the efficiency, coverage, gaps and improvement needs of the existing Wood Origin Certificate Software in close coordination with the State Forestry Agency, Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources and the Ministry of Digitization;
- Undertake field missions to consult with software users (local forestry branches) and collect their feedback/inputs for the assessment report;
- Provide quick assessment of existing relevant legal instruments, like the law on timber market, degree on electronic timber action and new developments in these legal instruments;
- Prepare a Terms of Reference for the improvement of existing Wood Origin Certificate Software or (if necessary for technical reasons) develop a new software which will include technical specification, technical and geographical coverage, requirements to test the software in pilot areas, training needs and plan for training of relevant staff, and a roadmap for the development and testing of the software;
- Prepare a Power Point presentation for FAO and the Government of Ukraine on the results of the assessment and recommendations for the improvement/development of a new Wood Origin Certificate Software;
- Make a market research for the estimation of potential costs for the improvement of the existing software or development of new software considering assessment results, coverage of the ToR and other technical details such software codes, licenses etc;
- Provide a final report focusing on main findings and recommendations, including assessment of the existing software, ToR for the improvement or development of a software, results of market research and recommendations;
- Any other duties as required by FAO.
- Assessment report on the existing software;
- ToR for the software contract;
- Power Point presentation to FAO and the Government;
- Final report (including market research analysis).
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in IT technologies or related fields, preferably with an experience/familiarity in forest management, forest products marketing and trades etc.;
- At least 10 years’ experience in software development and relevant areas;
- National of Ukraine or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to work under pressure and to carry out several tasks in a timely fashion and under tight deadlines, with minimum supervision;
- Good understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, UN’s guidelines, and project / programme management procedures;
- Systematic and efficient approach to work on assignments, good judgment and analytical ability.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills in English, Russian and Ukrainian;
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to take initiative and accomplish tasks with minimum supervision;
- Ability to perform in a multi-cultural team.
- Strong research and analytical skills, including experience quantitative/qualitative data analysis;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
• For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=2101922&tz=GMT%2B02%3A00&tzname and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.