DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world. DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is seeking qualified candidates for the Kyiv-based Translator/Support Officer position on its newly awarded USAID Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity. Interested candidates should submit their application through the following portal:
The deadline for applications is June 24, 2021. Due to a high volume of applications received, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted in response to this job advertisement.
I. Project Background
DAI Global is implementing the USAID-funded Governance and Local Administration (HOVERLA) Activity, based in Kyiv, Ukraine. This project is designed to support Ukraine advance self-reliant local governance including legislative reforms, participatory strategic planning methodologies, service improvement, local economic development, civil society engagement, and capacity building of sub-national government entities. The Activity has three objectives:
- Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
- Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
- Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
II. Position Overview
The Translator/Support Officer provides support to the HOVERLA project team by performing consecutive and simultaneous interpretation during events and meetings and ensures that the project’s written translations are done in a timely manner. S/he is also responsible for helping to prioritize requests for the COP’s time including answering and triaging phone calls, emails, and other general communication. The Translator/Support Officer is based in Kyiv and reports to the Chief of Party.
III. Objectives and Duties
- Act as single entrance/exit point of translation requests; translate documents upon request from the COP and the technical team.
- Read and rewrite technical documents in specified language, following established rules pertaining to factors such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
- Serve as interpreter at seminars, speeches, meetings, teleconferences, and symposia, providing consecutive or simultaneous translation between languages.
- Collaborate with colleagues to compile helpful information, including terms and definitions, into an organized glossary for regular reference during the translation process.
- Honor outlined ethical codes to ensure sensitive and confidential information remains secure and protected.
Senior Management Support:
- Support the daily administrative and operational needs of the Chief of Party to include, but not limited to, maintaining calendar schedules, handling emails, phone calls, correspondence, and meeting coordination.
- Draft documents and correspondence in English and/or Ukrainian languages upon senior management’s request.
- Capture notes, action items, and meeting minutes and enter them into internal record-keeping systems as needed.
- Taking on other tasks as assigned.
- BA or BS degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of administrative assistant experience
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian
- Prior translator/interpreter experience preferred
- Experience with Microsoft platforms (Word, Excel, Outlook)