Alinea International is recruiting a Team Lead for managing the program team to support the transformation of the planning and resource management processes pursued by the Ministry of Defence and the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The objective of this Reform Initiative will be that capabilities-based defense planning is based on a strategic analysis of the military threats to Ukraine’s national security, resource management will be based on program management techniques, and internal control and risk management will be based on principles and approached adopted by NATO member states. The expected outcome of this effort will that the capabilities planning and resource management processes in the defence forces are combined and integrated into an effective and transparent system of planning and intelligent resource allocation in order for the Armed Forces of Ukraine to best use the available resources to achieve the maximal possible level of operational capabilities for performing assigned tasks. The transformed planning and resource management processes will be based on the principles, practices, and procedures utilized by NATO member states.
The Defence Planning and Resource Management Reform Initiative is being conducted in the context of Canada’s Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer (PROTECT) program. PROTECT is a 2 year, 3M CAN$ defence and security sector reform program funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented in Kyiv, Ukraine. PROTECT provides short-term expert (Ukrainian and international) deployment and capacity to reforms in the defence and security sector. The program responds to the needs of Ukraine’s defence and security institutions and agencies and focuses on building strong analytical approaches in gender equality; women peace and security (WPS); and results-based management into reform initiatives, while lending expertise in the management of reforms.
PROTECT program outcomes are defined as follows:
- Improved governance and democratic accountability of Ukraine’s security and defence sector
- Improved planning, coordination, gender responsiveness and strategic analysis of security and defence sector reforms
- Improved implementation of reforms delivered through the Ukrainian security and defence sector
The Team Lead will under the direct supervision of the PROTECT Program Field Director and in close cooperation with the Ministry of Defence and the General Staff, ensuring the alignment of the expert team’s work with the Defence Planning and Resource Management strategic priorities and methodology addressing the following areas:
- Planning, Budgeting, and Resource Management
- Program and Project Management and Key Performance Indicators
- Capability Based Planning and Capability Based Assessments
- Strategic Analysis and Forecasting
- Risk Management and Internal Controls
- Procurement and Acquisition
- Manage the day to day relationship with the Ministry of Defence and General Staff counterparts in a constructive and diplomatic manner;
- Provide project management tools and strategies to support and guide the Reform Initiative team;
- Ensure team compliance to the approved approach and methodology for undertaking the Reform Initiative;
- Review, appraise and comment on products (briefings and presentations, pieces of research, legislative analysis, strategy and policy-papers) developed by the Reform Initiative team;
- Ensure the efficient engagement of the Reform Initiative with contact points and recipients at the Ministry of Defence and the General Staff of Ukraine;
- Support the local Gender Equality Expert to ensure that opportunity for the integration of gender-based analysis in the thematic policy areas is fully enabled;
- Support the Program Field Director in positioning and communicating the results of the PROTECT work on the Reform Initiative.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of the security and defence sector of Ukraine and understanding of the organizational structure and activities of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine and the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Master of Law or Public Administration degree or qualifications in Public Policy, Political Science, and/or relevant area;
- Demonstrated education and/or experience with planning, budgeting, and resource management systems;
- A minimum of 3 years’ thematic experience related to Ukrainian Government policy development and/or reforms;
- A minimum of 2 years’ management experience leading teams;
- Ukrainian and English language skills.
- Skilled in various facilitation methodologies and workshop design and execution;
- Capable of working with and managing government-sensitive information;
- Education and/or experience with Defence Planning; Defence Procurement; Program or Project Management; Life-Cycle Costing and Management; Strategic Analysis; or Risk Management and Internal Controls.
Employment Type: Full-Time, 6 months renewable
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Reports to: PROTECT Program Field Director
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 14 June 2021. Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate, USD, inclusive of benefits.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: http://www.alineainternational.com/