Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Division: Communities & Governance
Reports to: Director of Research and Learning
DEADLINE: June 11th, 2021
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX in Ukraine seeks a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist (hereinafter “Specialist”) to support day-to-day MEL and research activities of the Ukraine National Identity Through Youth (UNITY) program. The specialist will work under the supervision of the Director of Research and Learning (hereafter “DRL”) and work closely with project managers and technical leads to support the ongoing evaluation of the UNITY program. He/she will be responsible for developing and coordinating MEL and research efforts with contractors and program teams, designing UNITY program impact evaluation methodologies (including randomized controlled trials and quasi-experimental designs), indicators, quantitative and qualitative research tools, support MEL training activities as well as leading data analysis and reporting.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Monitoring and evaluation/Research
Jointly with Research and Learning team, support UNITY in planning and designing evaluations and program assessments.
- Participate in the development of program indicators, oversee regular monitoring and evaluation of UNITY, and ensure regular progress reviews of approved indicators.
- Oversee and/or conduct data analysis, including drafts of reports for internal research (using statistical software tools (SPSS/R), MS Excel, PowerPoint, or other similar applications).
- Design tools for evaluation studies and impact research.
- Lead/support design of quantitative or qualitative research methodologies, including relevant tools development (questionnaires, in-depth interviews/FGs scripts), to implement UNITY research projects.
- Jointly with Research and Learning unit, streamline monitoring and evaluation system through:
- implementation of data standards for UNITY in line with the program data policy;
- development of data collection flows to ensure data integrity and validity on the output and outcome levels;
- secure storage of databases and other related materials and resources.
- Build capacity of the UNITY partners in relation to MEL through:
- development of monitoring and evaluation toolkits and standardized data collection tools;
- ad hoc training sessions with the UNITY implementing partners to foster evaluation and data collection skills;
- ongoing communication and support to the program implementing partners.
- Provide ad hoc consultations to the UNITY staff as required.
- Manage evaluation contracts and agreements with outside vendors:
- draft request for proposal (RFPs);
- develop scope of work (SoWs);
- maintain supervision and lead communication;
- administer budget and coordinate with the UNITY financial team.
- Provide input, information, and statistics for the program semi-annual/annual reporting to the donor.
- Support DRL in drafting relevant monitoring and evaluation reporting narratives/presentations as required.
- Maintain and administer data collection protocols and instruments for the UNITY implementing partners (MS Forms/MS Dynamics CRM).
- Liaise regularly with IREX’s program team in Washington, D.C.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum five years of experience in monitoring and evaluation or data analysis.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation for an international NGO.
- Master’s degree in statistics, demography, public policy, sociology, economics, or a related field.
- Knowledge and practical experience in research, monitoring, and evaluation methodologies (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods, and impact identification).
- Experience in designing and leading MEL training sessions for different stakeholders.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing MEL and performance monitoring plans.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys, including the development of data collection tools from scratch.
- Experience in outsourcing and overseeing evaluations/surveys that are conducted by external vendors and managing communication with them.
- Experience with data quality assessment and oversight; knowledge of data cleaning processes.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Excel).
- Advanced user of SPSS or R or Python.
- Strong command of English, Ukrainian, and Russian.
Will be a plus
- Experience working on programs focused on youth, education, and/or employment/entrepreneurship.
- Portfolio of completed program impact evaluation projects, e.g. RCTs/or quasi-experimental designs.
Please send your cover letter and resume as an attachment in an email with “Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist” in the subject line to email@example.com. You can also attach any documents from your MEL/Research portfolio if you think they would be relevant.
No telephone inquiries will be accepted. Application Deadline: June 11th, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
IREX conducts anti-terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers.
IREX is also an E-Verify Employer.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.