USAID Energy SecurityProject
Power System Expert
The Energy Security Project (ESP) is a five-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implemented by Tetra Tech, a California-based leading provider of services in the areas of water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
The ESP mission is to enhance Ukraine’s energy security, to improve the energy legal and regulatory environment in the country, and to increase the resilience of Ukraine’s energy supply. This will help to support country’s economic development and sustain its democracy. ESP is working closely with the Government of Ukraine (GOU) to develop competitive energy markets. By doing so, ESP will facilitate private sector-led energy investments to provide affordable, reliable, resilient, and secure energy for all Ukrainians.
Tetra Tech ES, Inc. is looking to fill in the position of Power System Expert who will be a part of the Electricity Team to implement Ukraine’s new electricity market including the harmonization of electricity market rules of Ukraine with the EU internal market. This position will report to the Senior Electricity Regulatory Manager. This is full-time position, based in Kyiv Ukraine.
- Support coordination of cooperation with the TSO and Regulator in relation to Ukrainian power system development and electricity market reform implementation;
- Support project activities related to the power system modeling (technical and economic), collect input information, develop and calculate scenarios and prepare reports;
- Support project activities on interconnection with ENTSO-E, including improvement of transmission and distribution Grid codes and Market rules;
- Provide advice and guidance on electricity market design and policy implementation;
- Support further development and implementation of market-based cross-border electricity trade rules in compliance with EU energy ‘Acquis Communautaire’ (i.e. the accumulated legislation, legal acts, and court decisions which constitute the body of European Union law) with a goal of achieving full integration/coupling of Ukrainian electricity market to the EU;
- Support management of project activities towards the development of competitive electricity market mechanisms (for example, day-ahead, intra-day, real-time balancing markets, bilateral trade, supplier switching, etc.);
- Facilitate the improvement of renewable energy support mechanism towards successful integration to the electricity system with a competitive market orientation.
- Provide technical assistance to organization of conferences and workshops targeting the electricity sector;
- Provide technical assistance to strategic planning and capacity development components of the project implementation;
- Build and maintain strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant stakeholders (for example, USAID and other international donors, government bodies, non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners).
Essential KSA’s required (experience, skills, education, certification, etc.):
- University degree in electrical engineering or related field acceptable to Tetra Tech;
- At least 5-years’ experience in the electricity sector. Understanding of the specifics of Ukrainian power system operation;
- Experience in power system modeling and simulation (steady state and dynamic calculations). Experience in economic modeling will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated understanding of the ENTSO-E System Operation Guideline;
- Experience in working with high level stakeholders including senior government counterparts;
- Project management skills, including ability to develop and manage relationships with a diverse set of officials and stakeholders;
- Experience in similar USAID projects on power system development and resource adequacy assessment is desired. Experience with EU and Eastern European countries a plus;
- Proficient in modeling software DigSILENT PF (Antares, PLEXOS also desired);
- Proficiency in English (written, read, spoken, and heard) and Ukrainian or Russian;
- Proficient in office computer applications (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.).
To apply: Please submit a CV in English and a brief cover letter with the title of the position in the subject line to UESPjobs@tetratech.com
There is no deadline associated with this position, Tetra Tech may fill the position when a qualified person is found.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
To find more about USAID Energy Security Project, follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/usaidesp/ or LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/energysecurityua/