Local Economic Development Specialist
Period of Performance:
On/around May 1, 2021 – March 18, 2026
Positions Reports To:
Objective 2 lead
- 1. Project Background:
DAI Global is implementing the USAID-funded Governance and Local Administration (HOVERLA), based in Kyiv, Ukraine. This project is designed to support Ukraine advance self-reliant local governance including legislative reforms, participatory strategic planning methodologies, service improvement, local economic development, civil society engagement, and capacity building of sub-national government entities.
- Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
- Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
- Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
- 2. Role’s Purpose:
The Local Economic Development (LED) Specialist will provide support to the Objective 2 Lead and other HOVERLA staff to support with the creation of strategies and plans for local economic development. As a critical part of this assignment, the Local Economic Development Specialist will guide the development of relevant regulations, streamline business registration processes, and oversee the creation of business-friendly subnational governments. The LED expert will also work with other Hoverla components to create relevant grants, incubators, strengthen chambers of commerce, engage with other donors, and leverage existing practices in LED. The LED specialist will also support the project by providing relevant input in the deliverables such as (weekly reports, quarterly reports etc.)
The position requires intimate knowledge of the Ukrainian decentralization effort, business regulatory environment and investment climate (foreign and domestic). The success of the LED specialists work will be measured in number of jobs created.
The Local Economic Development Service Delivery Specialist will:
- Support efforts to identify critical trends and challenges in the economic development sector
- Provides support to develop the capacity of local governments and civils society actors in economic development to effectively understand the broader economic development context through a sector wide analysis and planning for effective and efficient service delivery based on this understanding.
- Strengthen the capacity of local actors to operate effectively in multi stakeholder processes and joint action mechanisms involved in planning, executing, monitoring and evaluation of economic development services.
- Assist local level actors in making the necessary linkages with national level policy processes relating to economic development services delivery.
- Strengthen the capacity of local actors to design and implement vertical and horizontal accountability and transparency economic development service provision and delivery.
- Facilitate the promotion of Public- Private Partnerships for the provision and delivery of economic development services.
- Assist objective leads and regional manager in developing public outreach activities for improving Public Private dialogue and local economic development
- Provide input to HOVERLA deliverables including social media, regular reports, and reports for submission to USAID
- Build the capacity of relevant national and subnational government staff in LED
- Develop accurate database of key business actors and investment environment
- Assist in developing grant concepts for LED
- Serve as the point of contact for local business community
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, including institutional and private sector partners, to increase visibility and maximize coordination.
- Provide on-demand information for USAID
- Other relevant duties as needed.
- Other activities as requested by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party
- Master’s in economics, social sciences, international development, international relations, or a similar relevant field. MA may be substituted by a BA and at least 5 years of experience in economic development service deliver, decentralization, policy development, and community engagement.
- Demonstrable experience in economic development and job creating activities.
- Thorough understanding of the legislative and regulatory environment for investment and business growth
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in economic development
- Knowledge and experience in participatory techniques, teambuilding, coaching, effective communication and writing skills.
- Ability to analyze the socio-economic and political context of the country.
- Experience working with USAID or other international donor-funded programs.
- Experience preparing well-researched reports.
- Demonstrable ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private‐sector partners and stakeholders.
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Excellent writing, speaking, and reading skills in English.
- Professional proficiency in Ukrainian and/or Russian
The deadline for applications is May 21, 2021.
Application link: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/quxlyo8hmw/index.html?1618952685727
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information and upload CV. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted soon. Please note, due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill-up positions only shortlisted applicants will receive notifications on next steps.