Legal and Policy Advisor
Long Term Technical Assistance
Period of Performance:
On/around May 1, 2021 – March 18, 2026
DAI Global is implementing the USAID-funded Governance and Local Administration (HOVERLA), based in Kyiv, Ukraine. This project is designed to support Ukraine advance self-reliant local governance including legislative reforms, participatory strategic planning methodologies, service improvement, local economic development, civil society engagement, and capacity building of sub-national government entities.
Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
Objectives and Duties:
The Legal and Policy Advisor will identify, draft and/or revise government policies, laws and regulations related to decentralization promotion and implementation in Ukraine. S/he will be responsible for the overall management of activities for the improvement of policy and legal reform in accordance with HOVERLA’s approved work plan and schedule of deliverables. S/he will work closely with the Chief of Party.
The Legal and Policy Advisor will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following detailed tasks:
- Analyze and identify the key policies, laws and regulations at the national and provincial levels that require reform and/or drafting and passage in order to promote decentralization and implementation.
- Work with the public sector, including with policymakers and lawmakers, to manage targeted public sector dialogue and consultations on policy and legal reform.
- Propose revisions to legislation
- Lead discussion groups with different agencies to review legislation
- Draft Legislative explanatory notes as needed
- When necessary draft scopes of work for external legal support (e.g. drafting law, trainings, etc.) and provide technical oversight
- Provide technical assistance to government institutions and staff on policy analysis, development and implementation, strategic planning, training and capacity development, engagement with civil society and media, etc.
- Assist with drafting talking points for use by counterparts and partners
- Assist in developing public engagement mechanisms for legislative review
- Assess the current state of parliament and keep a current calendar of legislation under review
- Maintain a close working relationship with the parliamentary committees addressing decentralization
- Coordinate on-demand information for USAID or other stakeholders.
- Represent Ukraine HOVERLA at large scale events and meetings as required.
- At least 10 years of experience in finance or business law, preferably working with the public sector
- A Juris Doctor or Master’s degree or higher in Law, Public Policy, or Business
- Experience advising government entities in the formulation and implementation of policy, regulatory, and legal reform.
- Proven leadership and management experience implementing successful reform programs or efforts that include policy and legal reforms
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and provincial economic policies, laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and prior experience of USAID or other donor agency or international organization operations, programming, and structure a plus.
- Proficiency in English required.
Base of Operations:
The Legal and Policy Advisor will report to the Objective 1 Lead.
The deadline for applications is May 21, 2021.
Application link: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/quxlyo8hmw/index.html?1618952685727
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information and upload CV. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted soon. Please note, due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill-up positions only shortlisted applicants will receive notifications on next steps.