Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the Programme Coordinator (Housing), the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Construction), and in close coordination with other technical programme specialists the successful candidate will provide specialised support to the implementation of IOM Ukraine’s efforts in provision of affordable housing units, in particular for IDPs, Ukraine. IOM-Ukraine implements the Housing Project with KfW in selected cities of GCA of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, which aim is to provide a surplus to affordable, modern and energy efficient housing stock making it available for accommodation by vulnerable categories among IDPs and locals.
In general, the main duties of the ESHS Specialist include ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety, social and environmental laws, procedures, guidelines, and specifications and to provide advice on measures needed to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations on construction sites.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Prepare and/or update the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) required by KfW; review them on a regular basis and keep them up to date at all times. Coordinate the development of ESHS policies, systems, procedures, and guidelines. Reporting to KfW on Environmental and Social project`s related issues.
- Support the PM in planning, executing and handover the Project by supervision and monitoring the contractors and subcontractors about adherence to the national HSE requirements and ESMP incl. worksite assessment and tracking of contractors ESHS performance; work in close collaboration with the contractors and subcontractors to identify risks and enforce preventative measures on ESHS. Provide regular reports to the PM on relevant ESHS activities.
- Provide assistance to the PM in maintaining the relationship with key stakeholders according to the SEP, incl. appraising the social risks and/or impacts and supporting the grievance mechanism. Participate on public hearings/meetings with local communities.
- Advise and instruct project staff, contractors, subcontractors, consultants and other stakeholders on various safety, health, social and environmental matters related to project implementation, incl. recommendations to the PM for approval of design documentation; notice, suggestions or guidance for improvement of H&S plans and method statements prepared by contractors if there are any risks related to H&S and labour conditions (incl. site issues, hygienic issues, labour conditions and workers code of conduct).
- Conduct periodic OHS and labour conditions audits of the construction site, first aid and/or health post facilities and equipment (ambulances, first aid kits, medication, documentation), firefighting equipment, emergency & evacuation plans, documentation of labour and public related grievances, and any other health, safety, security and labour conditions related issue. Record of construction project H&S audit reports (inspection reports, work stoppage reports) and provide to PM. Establish a full program of documented ESHS inspections, audits, and checks.
- Record of incident and accident investigations and corrective actions to determine the cause and to propose improvements to processes in the future. Compile statistical information on incidents to present to PM.
- Initiate, organize and conduct ESHS trainings (including a well-developed induction program) for the project team, contractors, subcontractors, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in regular site meetings to report on relevant health & safety matters and to provide necessary advice. Participate as a member of duty travel teams relating to project implementation, as required.
- Comply with IOM’s policies and procedures including prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) and promotion of a respectful work environment in order to contribute to a healthy workplace.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental sciences or a similar qualification related to Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) in Ukraine with at least two years of professional experience; or
- Master’s degree or Equivalent or Higher in environmental sciences or a similar qualification related to Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) in Ukraine
- Experience in the field of Environmental & Social management and/or Occupational Health & Safety in construction;
- Experience in project reporting, implementation and results-based management;
- Excellent knowledge of operating adequate software. Using of design software such as AutoCAD and planning software such as MS Project is desirable;
- Experience working with a non-governmental organization and/or international organization an advantage;
- Knowledge of applicable codes, policies, standards, and best practices related to project.
Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and commited manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Resource Mobilization: Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (http://iom.org.ua/en/personal_history) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.