Senior Legal Expert: Labor Law
Support to Anti-Corruption Champion Institutions (SACCI) Program in Ukraine
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, peace and stability, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities.
The Support to Anti-Corruption Champion Institutions (SACCI) Program in Ukraine is a five-year USAID initiative that has an objective to assist Ukraine to reduce corruption and increase the accountability and transparency of governance in Ukraine. The program seeks to empower key government institutions to fight corruption, build public support for and engagement in anticorruption effort, and reduce citizen tolerance to corruption.
**Please note: Only Ukrainian citizens are eligible for this position**
SACCI provides capacity-building support through a series of trainings to Free Legal Aid lawyers on whistleblower protection issues. In coordination with the Free Legal Aid Centre and the National Agency on Corruption Prevention (NACP), SACCI provides technical assistance to developing the “Special Training Course on Whistleblower Protection in the framework of the Free Legal Aid System.” The course’s objective is to strengthen and improve the Free Legal Aid lawyers’ and Legal Aid System officials’ knowledge and skills on whistleblowers’ legal and social status. The course will also explain how to provide legal support to whistleblowers on the protection and restoration of their rights. The training course will discuss international perspectives on whistleblower protection, including best practices; international standards, such as the recent EU Directive; and other related topics. The training course will be supported with comprehensive training materials and handouts. SACCI seeks a senior-level expert for Senior Legal Expert: Labor Law. The expert will assist the project with developing materials on the following topics: protection of whistleblowers’ labor rights, protection against workplace retaliation, and litigation under civil and administrative procedures. The course materials will align with the concept for a two-day training course developed and approved by SACCI, the NACP, and Free Legal Aid Center. This is the the STTA position with an expected level of effort of up to 40 expert days.
- If necessary, recommendations for improving the training’s concept, including the agenda and content description
- Brief research and analysis of national court and ECHR practices to help develop the modules on the protection of whistleblowers’ labor rights, protection against workplace retaliation, and representation in litigation under civil and administrative procedures
- Development of the training course materials and handouts, including texts for mini-lectures, PowerPoint presentations, scenario/scripts for video materials, legislative extracts, infographics, schemes, charts, checklists, algorithms, instructions for practical assignments, cases for discussion, facilitator notes, tests, and other necessary materials and handouts
- Participation in adapting the course materials and handouts for judges
- Participation as trainer in the course’s pilot delivery for lawyers and for judges
- Analysis of feedback from the course’s piloting and incorporation of feedback into the course’s finalized version
- Development of materials for and conducting of training of trainers
- Participation in transferring the course into an online format, if necessary
- Close cooperation and coordination with the NACP and Free Legal Aid Center during training course development, adaptation, and transformation
- As needed, provision of other assistance for training course development, piloting, improvement, adaptation, or transformation
- At least Master’s degree in legal studies or another relevant field is required;
- Over 5 years of experience in labor law practice, litigation, and representation in civil and administrative courts
- Over 3 years of experience in adult education (delivery of trainings, capacity-building events, interactive sessions) on issues of law, legal proceedings, or other fields relevant to lawyers and/or judges
- Demonstrated experience in developing training courses, materials, guidance, manuals, and other related educational materials (samples to be requested at interview stage)
- Fluency in Ukrainian, pre-intermediate English is an asset
- Prior experience with USAID or other international donor-funded projects is preferred
*Deadline for applying for this position – May 9, 2021, 18:00 Kyiv time*
Please use Internet Explorer when submitting your application
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website https://www.msiworldwide.com/