Danish Refugee Council/Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC-DDG Ukraine is looking for a highly qualified DDG Project Officer – HMA for it’s Base office based in Sievierodonietsk.
Overall purpose of the role:
In 2014 Danish Refugee Council/Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) returned to Ukraine in order to assist those persons who are internally displaced (IDPs) or affected by the conflict in Donbas and implements activities in eastern Ukraine with a head office in Kyiv. DDG is the specialized unit within DRC that is dedicated to humanitarian mine action. DDG established mine action programmes in Ukraine in 2014 and has since been expanding the scale and scope of its intervention to include mine risk education, humanitarian demining, victim assistance, advocacy, and training/support for national actors.
In terms of national actors, DDG has been working to support the State Emergency Services (SES) of Ukraine, in order to tackle the issue of explosive hazard contamination, via the provision of equipment and training.
DDG is already engaged with SES via a new project that specifically aims to support the SES’s engagement in comprehensive humanitarian demining. The Project Officer will be responsible for the provision of training, deployment and quality control of demining teams as well as for all related planning and support duties.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Programming and Operations:
- Ensure the achievement of specific project indicators relevant to training and humanitarian demining targets;
- Ensure overall quality of work and implementation of operations;
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan;
- Pаrticipate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors;
- Assist in maintaining of project reporting mechanisms;
- Conduct internal Quality Cоntrol and Quality Assurance of clearance operations;
- Support the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises;
- Contribute to the development of training plans together with the DDG Technical Adviser and DDG Supervisor;
- Contribute to the development and improvement of SOPs when required;
- Carry out any other tasks as required by DDG Supervisor.
Coordination and Representation:
- Conduct frequent visits to active minefields to ensure that clearance/ surveys maximises productivity and conforms to DDG Standard Operating Procedures and National Mine Action Standards;
- Represent DDG at regional events, if/when necessary;
- In coordination with Line Manager, collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues;
- Delivery of training to both DDG and SES staff with support from relevant DDG colleagues;
- Close communication and coordination with project counterparts within SES;
- Maintain excellent dialogue and communications with national counterparts in order to ensure the delivery of the project;
- Represent DRC-DDG at relevant technical coordination meetings per specific request by Line Manager/ DDG HoP;
- Ensure integration with other DRC-DDG sectors.
Deliver the operational plan, reviеw clearance/ surveys/ training/ capacity building statistics against targets;
Write regular operational reports to assist the DDG Supervisor per request;
Develop project plans and budgets for funding;
Develop project tools;
Carry out- implementation of outputs set in the proposals and reporting;
Monitor and evaluate projects.
- Assist the logistic preparations and planning of trainings;
- Prepare the request for procurement of demining equipment together with DRC Supply Unit;
- Assist deployment of the SES demining teams including EOD and TS/NTS teams;
- Assist the recruitment of SES suitable deminers;
- Assist SES/ DDG equipment maintenance and inventory checks;
Assist during intern/external visits and briefings per request.
We expect you to have:
- Minimum 3 years’ previous experience in humanitarian mine action or related areas and full understanding of its technical requirements;
- Proven experience carrying out humanitarian mine action projects;
- Experience with delivery of training to staff and counterparts;
- Experience in stakeholder liaison;
- Experience of working in insecure environments;
Required experience and competencies
- Relevant university degree (related to military, civil protection or other area of knowledge where students gain the knowledge and skills in planning, training and operations as well as proficient knowledge in all types of explosive ordnances/ ammunitions);
- Fluenсy in English, Ukrainian and Russian both verbal and written;
- Good level of computer literacy with proficiency in MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint and other related applications;
- IMAS NTS/ demining (highly desirable);
- Proven skills in reading maps, using GPS, compass and rangefinder;
- Driving license B, C category (desirable).
- IMAS EOD level II/ III (highly appreciated);
Contract length: 2 years with the possibility of extension based on available funding (3 months’ probation period).
Level: H2 non-management
Start date: ASAP
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. To submit your CV please follow the link https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19100&ProjectId=161383&MediaId=5
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Clothing date for applications: May 16, 2021.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our: