IFES is a non-profit, non-partisan international organization. As the global leader in democracy promotion, IFES advances good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance to election officials; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 135 countries, from developing democracies to mature democracies.
Since 1994, IFES has played a significant role in promoting electoral, administrative and legal reform in Ukraine. In cooperation with partners in Ukrainian civil society and the Central Election Commission (CEC), IFES is working to foster dialogue on electoral reform, build the capacity of local NGOs, institutionalize best practices in training election officials and ensure more equal representation in the electoral process for disadvantaged populations, especially women, representatives of national minorities and persons with disabilities.
IFES is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Senior Legal Expert. The period of performance: March 10, 2021 – March 9, 2022.
The total number of days for the contract: 120.
- Draft expert reviews/legal opinions, research, and other similar documents on election law reform in Ukraine, political finance, abuse of state resources, electoral administration, electoral justice, gender and inclusion, and referenda issues, including from a comparative perspective;
- Review legal documents produced by IFES and its partners within the topics listed above and provide comments and recommendations;
- Prepare Draft Laws with amendments for improvement of election and referenda legislation;
- Analyzing the Draft Laws within these topics tabled in Rada and providing recommendations for improvement;
- Participate in Verkhovna Rada working group meetings, conferences, round tables and other similar public events as expert or guest speaker;
- Work with existing IFES legal experts and other relevant staff.
- Participate in donor coordination meetings as well as other international events;
- Perform other duties as requested.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated experience working with senior government officials, local governments, NGOs, and the international donor community in Ukraine;
- Familiarity with the international donor community and experience as an action-oriented interlocutor with democracy-development actors in Ukraine at all levels;
- Strong analytical reasoning skills;
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills;
- Strong diplomacy skills and cultural sensitivity;
- Excellent knowledge of Ukraine’s legal and electoral framework and community with the focus on elections and political processes;
- Experience in legal drafting and in providing senior briefings on electoral and legal issues;
- Extensive experience in analysis, policy formation, strategy development and follow-through;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality and conflict of interest.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s Degree in relevant field;
- Minimum of twelve years of relevant working experience in Ukraine;
- Experience in working on policy, democracy and governance programs;
- Experience in working with technical assistance projects;
- Previous experience drafting legislation and amendments on elections, political finance and other relevant topics;
- Excellent knowledge of political issues, election legislation and referenda in Ukraine;
- Excellent knowledge of Ukraine’s civil society, policy landscape, and stakeholders.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in English, Ukrainian, and Russian languages are required.
Interested local candidates are invited to submit their CV and a Letter of Interest, with “Senior Legal Expert” in the subject line, to email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org no later than by March 9, 2021, 23:59 Kyiv time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. IFES encourages people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply.