Electricity Market Experts
USAID/Ukraine Energy Security Project
The Energy Security Project (ESP) is a five-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implemented by Tetra Tech, a California-based leading provider of services in the areas of water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
The ESP mission is to enhance Ukraine’s energy security, to improve the energy legal and regulatory environment in the country, and to increase the resilience of Ukraine’s energy supply. This will help to support country’s economic development and sustain its democracy. ESP is working closely with the Government of Ukraine (GOU) to develop competitive energy markets. By doing so, ESP will facilitate private sector-led energy investments to provide affordable, reliable, resilient, and secure energy for all Ukrainians.
Tetra Tech ES, Inc. is looking to fill in two positions of Electricity Market Expert and Senior Electricity Market Expert to implement Ukraine’s electricity market reform including the harmonization of market rules with the EU. The Senior Electricity Market Expert / Electricity Market Expert will report to Senior Electricity Regulatory Manager. These are full-time positions based in Kyiv.
- Support coordination of cooperation with the Regulator and the Ministry in relation to electricity market reform implementation;
- Conduct evidence-based analysis on electricity market trends, prepare regular market monitoring reports and propose recommendations to facilitate competitive development of the market;
- Support further development and implementation of market based cross-border electricity trade rules in compliance with EU energy ‘Acquis Communautaire’ (i.e. the accumulated legislation, legal acts, and court decisions which constitute the body of European Union law) with a goal of achieving full integration/coupling of Ukrainian electricity market to the EU;
- Support to project activities related with introduction of financial settlement and market clearing in the electricity sector considering the long-term goal for establishment of a clearing house;
- Support the development of an effective electricity market surveillance and monitoring mechanism;
- Provide advice and guidance on electricity market design and policy implementation;
- Provide technical assistance to organization of conferences and workshops targeting electricity sector;
- Support management of project activities towards development of competitive electricity market mechanisms (e.g., day-ahead, intra-day, real-time balancing markets, bilateral trade, supplier switching, etc.);
- Support implementation of cost-reflective tariff schemes based on available good practice in the electricity sector;
- Provide technical assistance to strategic planning and capacity development components of the project implementation;
- Build and maintain strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant stakeholders (for example, USAID and other international donors, government bodies, non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners).
- University degree in electrical engineering, economics, business or related field acceptable to Tetra Tech;
- Minimum 5-year (10-year for Senior position) experience in the electricity sector. Experience in electricity market regulations, specifically in implementation of the market reform is a plus;
- Experience in retail electricity segment, including commercial metering, retail market rules and supplier switching mechanism;
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis and reporting of electricity market trends and strategies;
- Experience in wholesale electricity market trading (i.e. day-ahead, intra-day, balancing and bilateral contracts markets), financial settlement mechanism, electricity market monitoring, joint cross-border trade design compliant with EU energy acquis;
- Strong understanding of electricity market dynamics and price formation mechanisms in different segments of the market, as well as electricity market integration/coupling compliant with EU energy acquis;
- Experience in similar projects on electricity market development and international/regional regulatory cooperation on development of competitive electricity markets is desired. Experience with EU and Eastern European countries a plus;
- Experience of working in Ukraine is highly desired;
- Proficiency in Ukrainian (written, read, spoken, and heard). Proficiency in English or Russian is a plus;
- Proficient in office computer applications (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.).
To apply please submit your CV in English and a cover letter with the title of the position in the subject line to UESPjobs@tetratech.com
There is no deadline associated with this position, Tetra Tech may fill the position when a qualified person is found.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.