UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Through its Democratic Governance Programme, UNDP Ukraine assists the Government, civil society and people of Ukraine in advancing democratic policies and practices needed to accelerate progress on sustainable human development and human rights promotion. This includes advocating for human rights and gender equality, supporting anti-corruption efforts, ensuring that all Ukrainian citizens can protect their rights, strengthening parliament, and empowering civil society and youth activists.
In mid-2019, Volodymyr Zelenskiy and his Servant of the People party won both the Presidential and Parliamentary elections on the basis of three key promises: to restore peace, to combat corruption and to revive the economy. The unprecedented electoral mandate created a new window of opportunity in advancing the reform and peace agendas. Although Ukraine’s new leadership has created a timely ‘window of opportunity’ to promote more inclusive processes that engage all segments of society, including various commitments to Ukraine’s youth both in the economic and civic engagement spheres, the entrenched polarization and lack of practical outreach efforts may result in growing public skepticism and undermine peace prospects, if not effectively addressed.Young men and women, alongside national and local civil society actors, are both willing and well positioned to take forward initiatives for social change, including local dispute settlement and dialogue for peace efforts.
At the beginning of 2020, the Government had an ambitious goal of implementing a national unity dialogue through youth by organizing a Youth Mobility Programme that would support exchange visits of young women and men between different parts of Ukraine and thus foster dialogue on the formation of a national civic identity. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 outbreak forced the suspension of this initiative, but the initial vision very much remains on the agenda of the Government and is included in the draft State Target Social Programme “Youth-2025”.
The Building a constituency for peace in Ukraine by engaging young people to promote social cohesion, national unity and a culture of dialogue project may utilize this dormant initiative to help strengthen national ownership and build local capacities. This joint UN Project implemented by UNDP, UNFPA and OHCHR aims to create an enabling environment for sustainable peace in Ukraine by engaging young women and men from different segments of society to promote national unity, social cohesion and a culture of dialogue that can inform the development of pro-peace policies and strategies.
In this context, UNDP is recruiting the Project Associate, who will be responsible for the overall support of implementation of the described project, performing a variety of standard operational services within the projects frameworks ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Project Associate facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing on communication activities. The Project Associate will work closely with all projects’ personnel and UNDP Country Office (CO) team to ensure relevant requirements are fulfilled in a timely manner with required quality, following the highest standards in line with UNDP guidelines and procedures.
The incumbent will promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manger, the Project Associate will perform the following functions:
1. Ensure implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensure effective administrative and logistical support to the project implementation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Perform administrative support functions to facilitate the implementation of the project activities, including personnel matters, attendance records, facilitating missions, office maintenance, reception/registry;
- Assure smooth operational running of the project by following established operational rules and procedures, including preparation of the supporting documentation for contracts and payments;
- Contribute to the project annual and detailed implementation work plans and reports preparation in quality and timely manner based on the requirements of the UNDP and programme/ project donors;
- Support in initiating, review, processing and following-up on actions related to the administration of the project’s human resource (HR) activities, including recruitment of personnel (and consultants), selection, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN/UNDP rules and procedures;
- Maintenance of personnel files;
- Maintenance of continued cooperation with UNDP in coordination of all HR-related issues; participate in data collection, analysis and maintenance of project related database and files; keep accurate electronic and paper filing, information and records systems;
- Preparation, implementation and follow up[??], take meeting minutes etc;
- Provide logistical support, including travel arrangements, accommodation, visas, tickets, etc. to the project personnel;
- Facilitate and provide full support to project monitoring, evaluation and audit missions, as well as missions of experts;
- Keep updated project inventory and assure that UNDP regulations on the equipment use, storage and proper maintenance are adhered. Assure that the project equipment transfer/disposal is being done in accordance with UNDP rules;
- Maintain the database of all stakeholders and partners and maintain contacts with relevant partners on a variety of the related issues;
- Liaise with UNDP Operations as well as with the other implementing agencies (UNFPA, OHCHR) on a variety of the operations related issues: procurement, financial management and HR;
- Provide assistance with documents translation and interpretation as needed;
- Maintain stationery and office supplies, purchase office equipment when needed;
- Handle project telephone enquiries and correspondence.
3. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain dialogue on a regular basis with the other UN agencies (UNFPA, OHCHR) engaged in the project implementation;
- Participation in the trainings for the project personnel;
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Provide support to various project activities at the national and sub-national levels;
- Provide support to communication activities and events of the project;
- Participate in project activities (meetings, round tables, conferences, other public activities) and support sharing of information developed through them among all relevant partners.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- Full and appropriate use of UNDP Programme Operational Policies and Procedures and UNDP Standard Operating Procedures during implementation of the Project and its components.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Project implementation plan is fully and timely implemented;
- Relevant outputs of the project annual work plan are fully and timely implemented.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Basic research and analytical skills;
- Results-based approach;
- Strong communication skills;
- Client orientation;
- Quality assurance;
- Self-management and emotional intelligence;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with minimum or no supervision as well as part of a team;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
- High level of creativity and excellent writing skills;
- Ability to identify problems and propose solutions;
- Gender mainstreaming
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues and ability to apply it to strategic and/or practical situations, e.g. integrating into the project/programme cycle, including design, planning, and implementation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in business administration, management, economics, human resources, finance, accounting, social sciences or other related fields.
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in the field of administration, finance, programme/project support or other relevant fields;
- Experience of working in international organizations/projects (preferably in the area of democratic governance, social cohesion youth policy etc.) will be considered as an advantage;
- Familiarity with UN/UNDP procedures and experience with ATLAS would be an asset;
- Experience in the usage of of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel etc.); experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required.