MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The main objective of the assignment is to provide analysis of the historical, economic and political background for the MSME BMOs creation and development in Ukraine, assess current level of influence of these organizations on the business environment, identify active industry BMOs and conduct their mapping for easy access to information about their activities for a wide range of entrepreneurs.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES / SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Consultant will review available studies, surveys, statistical data, available BMOs records/reports, and undertake independent research as necessary to draw the accurate picture of the development and activity of MSME Business Membership Organizations (MSME BMOs) in Ukraine.
In particular, the consultant will work to:
- Develop a methodology, including a set of open data-based criteria for evaluating BMOs that are simple and understandable for an ordinary entrepreneur, which will help to make an independent choice of an organization for cooperation and joining membership. Submit the methodology for UNDP approval.
- Provide overview of the national context for MSME BMO development in Ukraine, in particular, but not limited to:
- Analyze general economic policy and situation in MSME sector with a focus on existing status, role and capacities of MSME BMOs;
- Review the existing legal framework for MSME BMOs activity (legal status, bottlenecks, needs for improvement of legislation if any);
- Provide overview of MSME BMOs in Ukraine including the number of active BMOs with breakdown by type, area of activity/sector, geographical coverage, membership where possible;
- Identify general trends of the MSME BMOs sector in Ukraine, identify specific features of MSME BMO groups (industry, universal), identify the range of services provided by the MSME BMOs and their quality (to a possible extent);
- Identify key challenges for MSME BMO growth and effective operation and recommend key actions to be taken by international technical assistance projects to address the issues;
- In consultation with the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine, SME Development Office, other governmental and non-governmental stakeholders, and based on the developed criteria provide mapping and compile the list of all-Ukrainian industry BMOs in Ukraine.
- Identify gaps in the available secondary data and statistics on BMOs to be addressed by further Project’s surveys/research activities.
- Prepare analytical report - up to 40 pages A4 (without annexes), including executive summary and visualizations on current state of BMO development in Ukraine addressing the issues listed above. Annexes will include the list of all-Ukrainian industry MSME BMOs with data collected from open sources and ranking based on criteria developed (at least 100 all-Ukrainian BMOs).
Final report including incorporated UNDP comments submitted for UNDP approval - 3 months from the contract signature date.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
The Consultant should possess the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- At least Master’s/Specialist’s degree in Economics, Finance, International Relations, Management, Law, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science or other relevant area
- At least 5 years working experience in economic and social development analysis, public policy analysis and research;
- Proven experience in conducting surveys, desk reviews, data collection, and analysis related to BMOs development and/or MSME/private sector development (at least 3 samples to be provided);
- Excellent writing skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize inputs and relevant findings (proven with at least 3 analytical papers in the area of BMOs development and/or MSME/private sector development, or similar);
- Working experience with UN funded programmes or other international technical assistance projects would be an asset;
- Fluency in Ukrainian and good level of writing English is a must. Fluency in English is an asset.
Deadline for application : 21 September 2020
To see more details and apply, please follow the link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=93843&fbclid=IwAR3P1rVgcabzChH63kQlqL9ynQfER7x8VD_D4zd32RPbH5gRYXNQshHw7qM