Tetra Tech is currently looking for a Natural Gas Sector Lead to serve as the primary individual responsible for leading this critical component of the ESP.
The Energy Security Project (ESP) is a five-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implemented by Tetra Tech, a California-based leading provider of services in the areas of water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
The ESP mission is to enhance Ukraine’s energy security, to improve the energy legal and regulatory environment in the country, and to increase the resilience of Ukraine’s energy supply. This will help to support country’s economic development and sustain its democracy. ESP is working closely with the Government of Ukraine (GOU) to develop competitive energy markets. By doing so, ESP will facilitate private sector-led energy investments to provide affordable, reliable, resilient, and secure energy for all Ukrainians.
Tetra Tech is currently looking for a Natural Gas Sector Lead to serve as the primary individual responsible for leading this critical component of the ESP. The individual will lead on the development and implementation of the project’s natural gas market development strategy at the national level and technical assistance for the utilities in the sector, including the natural gas transmission system operator and distribution system operators with the objectives being to: (1) improve gas sector performance (financial, technical) and (2) support further alignment with the EU market and institutions through market and regulatory reforms in line with the third energy package and energy acquis. This position reports to the ESP Chief of Party (COP). The position is based in Kyiv with occasional travel to other cities in Ukraine. The position is open to foreign nationals and will be considered as an expatriate resident position in Kyiv. ESP will assist with obtaining necessary authorities to work and live in Kyiv for the successful candidate.
- Ultimately responsible for the development and implementation of the project’s natural gas sector activities;
- Manage a team of on/about 10 employees and consultants, and number of subcontractors, implementing the project’s natural gas activities;
- Oversee input on, and provide input to, reports, technical papers, presentations, client reporting, analysis, etc.;
- Represent ESP in forums and meetings with donors, the energy community, USAID, etc. as the project’s natural gas sector lead;
- Play a lead role in analyzing, recommending, preparing and supporting the natural gas industry reform in Ukraine;
- Proactively develop plans for natural gas industry reform to be supported by ESP and update this plan on a regular basis, as approved by ESP management and USAID;
- Develop recommendations for natural gas industry reform activities and distribute to key stakeholders. Ensure data and information are managed effectively, efficiently and securely as appropriate across gas industry of Ukraine;
- Initiate analysis, provide insight and presentations on the natural gas industry in Ukraine;
- Undertake fundamental research and actively share insights with management, project members and key stakeholders. Work with other advisors to gather relevant information and assess needs, including areas where professional skills are needed to support the natural gas sector reform;
- Produce reports, insights and technical papers as agreed with the ESP management team;
- Coordinate and manage all analytical and consultancy activity connected to natural gas sector reform, supported by ESP;
- Build relationships with key internal and external contacts through establishing regular contact and networking;
- In coordination with the ESP COP and USAID, support engagement with representatives from Ukraine Support Group of European Commission, Energy Community Secretariat, Government of Ukraine, Naftogaz of Ukraine, the National Energy Utility Regulatory Commission, the Ministry of Energy and Environmental Protection and other stakeholders that have influential authority over decision-making in the natural gas market;
- Other responsibilities, as designated by the ESP management team.
- At least 15 years of experience in the European natural gas sector and detailed understanding of the European Union gas industry, including market design, regulation and the requirements of the Third Energy Package;
- An understanding of competitive commodity markets is preferred, as well as, the technical, financial, regulatory and, economic mechanisms that support a market oriented, EU-aligned natural gas market in Ukraine;
- The Expert must be able to speak, read and write fluently in English;
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in business, energy, finance or related field;
- Experience leading a team of professionals especially in a cross-cultural context;
- Experience working on USAID or other donor-funded projects is a plus.
To apply: Please submit a CV in English and a cover letter to UESPjobs@tetratech.com
There is no deadline associated with this position, Tetra Tech may fill the position when a qualified person is found.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
To find more about USAID Energy Security Project, follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/usaidesp/.