Офіс ООН з Координації Гуманітарних Питань в Україні запрошує кваліфікованих і досвідчених українських спеціалістів подавати заявки на посаду радника з гуманітарних питань (Humanitarian Adviser).
The Humanitarian Adviser (HA) works under the overall supervision of the Deputy Head of Office, of the OCHA Office in Ukraine. This position provides the essential interface between the UN system, members of the NGO community, local and national disaster management authorities in policy, preparedness and coordination of the humanitarian response and bridging the humanitarian and development nexus (HDN).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Head of Office, the incumbent will undertake the following duties:
- Provide support to OCHA Office in Ukraine in preparedness and strengthening humanitarian policy and advocacy efforts;
- Provide support to the extended Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) and humanitarian community in strengthening its disaster response capacity;
- Create and maintain strategic partnerships;
- Act as the secretariat and focal point for HCT initiatives and bodies;
- Ensure a constant information flow between the relevant national disaster management authorities and OCHA Office in Ukraine on conflict/disaster related information and extended HCT operations;
- Facilitate coordination of humanitarian assistance by national and international partners;
- Raise awareness amongst NGOs, the UN and Government of the various international and local tools, services and mechanisms available for emergency response and response preparedness;
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian and political developments pertinent to humanitarian action and protection of civilians;
- Provide support to NGOs, the UN and national and local authorities in strengthening their disaster response and coordination capacity by:
- Ensuring follow-up and leveraging partner’s resources towards implementation of the Humanitarian Response Plan;
- Mapping emergency response capacities and identifying new opportunities and resources for identified gaps;
- Promotion of joint inter-agency information management platform;
- Support development of common operational data for preparedness and response;
- Participate/ lead rapid needs assessment, analysis, and reporting tools and mechanisms;
- Facilitating (in close partnership with relevant authorities and partners resolution of any access-related impediments for international humanitarian assistance.
- Monitor early warning indicators and prepare qualitative/quantitative situation reports;
- Advocate for and/or facilitate the incorporation of disaster preparedness in long-term development planning of the UN system and national development plans;
- Identify training needs of humanitarian partners and the authorities in the field of emergency preparedness and response;
- Facilitate and contribute to the preparation of OCHA emergency cash grant and Central Emergency Relief Fund requests;
- Participate in the development of strategies for addressing humanitarian needs, such as Flash Appeals and other humanitarian strategy documents, as appropriate;
- Support the dissemination of relevant information to the in-country donor community, implementing partners, government and other relevant actors in humanitarian response, as appropriate;
- Ensure support for all other administrative and substantive processes required for successful fulfilment of OCHA mandate in Ukraine.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Deputy Head of OCHA Office in Ukraine.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of implementation of humanitarian policies in preparedness and emergency response of the international community in Ukraine within specific areas of coordination, resource mobilization and information sharing. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of joint inter-agency preparedness and emergency response activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Report writing: ability to prepare quality report in timely, accurate and concise manner;
- Research and Analysis: Knowledge of analytical tools and methods of research and analysis.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for HCT’s Goals
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for HCT’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for HCT’s mandate.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Professionalism: applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position; possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks; strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning; demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Demonstrating integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political or social science, emergency response, disaster management, international relations, public administration, development studies, project management, law or any related field. Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of relevant experience can be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience in humanitarian affairs, natural disaster response and preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, early recovery and rehabilitation, or related field;
- Professional experience in facilitation and preparation of needs assessments, consolidated strategies or work plans, contingency planning processes, and deliverance of related trainings and workshops;
- Proven experience on quality analytical reports delivery;
- Deep understanding of the humanitarian sector architecture is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the UN system would be an asset;
- Computer literacy (Excel, Internet, Word etc).
- Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian
Please note that this position is reopened. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS is 30/06/2020, If you wish to apply for this position, please visit UNDP website, section jobs and apply online. More information and application details: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=29924&HRS_JO_PST_SEQ=1&hrs_site_id=2