Офіс ООН з координації гуманітарних питань шукає National Public Information and Reporting Officer. Дедлайн - 25 березня 2020 року.
The National Public Information and Reporting Officer will be based in Kyiv to support UNOCHA Ukraine’s Public Information/Reporting Unit with frequent travels to the field, both to the Government-controlled and non-Government controlled areas of Donetska and Luhanska oblasts. The National Public Information and Reporting Officer will ensure maximum professionalism and added capacity in supporting the implementation of UNOCHA Ukraine work plan in regard to reporting and communications. The National Public Information and Reporting Officer will support UNOCHA and external actors in implementation of strategic communications, public awareness, and advocacy activities to raise the humanitarian profile of the crisis in eastern Ukraine.
Under direct supervision of the Associate Public Information Officer, National Public Information and Reporting Officer will ensure timely and high-quality reporting as well as design, management and implementation of the Country Office/Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) communications strategies which are geared to influence the humanitarian agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize support for humanitarian operations in the country.
National Public Information and Reporting Officer contributes to initiating and sustaining professional relationships with key constituencies. This includes closely liaising with representatives of international and local media outlets, aimed at ensuring that those media outlets reflect the situation, main needs, and emerging trends in terms of the humanitarian context.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Maintain efficient standardized reporting mechanism and ensure effective and timely reporting to UNOCHA Country Office management and all applicable stakeholders;
- Produce specific type or types (e.g., print, broadcast, etc.) of information and communication products as well as promotional materials;
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, liaise with national and international media representatives and undertake activities to promote media coverage and media outreach of priority issues and/or major events;
- Coordinate drafting, publishing, and dissemination of photo and video content of communities affected by the conflict in eastern Ukraine;
- Support the maintenance of the relevant UNOCHA Ukraine platforms and social media accounts in English, Russian, and Ukrainian, including the development of visual assets and preparation of content for the above-mentioned channels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain efficient standardized reporting mechanism and ensure effective and timely reporting to UNOCHA Country Office management and all applicable stakeholders through:
- Facilitating of data and information compilation for development of comprehensive reports on daily and weekly basis;
- Verifying the accuracy of facts, figures, references, etc., through research, reference sources and consultation with UNOCHA colleagues and as necessary, with external partners;
- Preparing and distributing regular reports on the humanitarian situation to the relevant parties and as per established procedures in a timely and effective manner;
- Drafting concise, analytical and high-quality talking points, statements, media advisories, reports and presentations in English, Ukrainian and Russian;
- Providing guidance to the general service staff members of the unit (e.g., Public Information and Language Associate) for ensuring high-quality translation of the respective UNOCHA materials and products in English, Ukrainian and Russian. Upon request, assisting the supervisor in proofreading and editing of all applicable materials;
- Ensuring flow of information and analysis of developments in the country/region, including tracking trends and sharing reports with management and key partners;
- On the basis of official UN and HCT documentation and other sources, preparing reporting materials for articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, HCT public information products, periodicals, and other reports;
- Developing clear and concise reports as well as power-point presentations for various meetings, workshops, conferences, etc upon request;
- Continuously capturing and compiling lessons learnt for utilization in future in terms of reporting activities.
Produce specific type or types (e.g., print, broadcast, etc.) of information and communication products (e.g., press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot programs, etc.) and promotional materials (e.g., press walls, banners, roll-ups, handout materials, etc.) by:
- Collecting stories from the field and drafting weekly Digital Situation Update highlights;
- Proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience;
- Taking the leading role on collection, compilation, and drafting of the major publications, ensuring that all terminology is correct with the appropriate style to audiences;
- Coordinating, monitoring and finalizing the production process for major publications;
- Ensuring that all UNOCHA reports and materials adhere to established standards and conform with the United Nations policy and practices;
- Ensuring that phraseology and terminology are correct and that the style is appropriate to the audience;
- Editing for continuity, logical arrangement, completeness, the relevance of material, readability, clarity of expression, internal consistency, as well as spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Under the guidance of the supervisor, liaising with national and international media representatives, undertaking activities to promote media coverage and media outreach, (e.g., press conferences, use of social media, interviews, press seminars and other special activities, such as media trips to field locations), of priority issues and/or major events through:
- Conducting media outreach, including the development of media strategies and action plans, initiating pro-active media outreach efforts;
- Maintaining contacts with local, national, regional and international media, disseminating information materials to the media, placing op-eds and arranging interviews, organizing press conferences and briefings, monitoring press coverage of issues related to the humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine;
- Consulting with the press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action, analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage;
- Organizing and leading coordination with humanitarian organizations and local authorities to collect, draft and publish human interest stories, photo stories, and video content;
- Setting up and maintaining files/records, answering queries from the press, in person, by phone, and by e-mail.
- Disseminating up-to-date, substantive, and comprehensive information to members of accredited media with the UN, members of delegations, specialized agencies, and various HCT members.
Coordinate drafting, publishing, and dissemination of photo and video content of communities affected by the conflict in eastern Ukraine by:
- Coordinating, organizing and undertaking field visits for collecting first-hand information from the beneficiaries, participating in the multi-agency missions and field trips, ensuring effective interaction and liaison with different stakeholders;
- Taking high-quality photos and video materials about the humanitarian situation in eastern Ukraine in the conflict-affected communities, collective centres as well as crossing points. Storing, filing, and leading the work on editing photo and video products for public use;
- Drafting stories, including human interest stories about beneficiaries, their needs and the response efforts of humanitarian organizations, and coordinating publishing of these stories on UNOCHA and UN platforms, including social media;
- Based on field information, and content collected from field missions, proposing regular content for OCHA Ukraine social media accounts, with high-quality photo and video material as well as stories, quotes, and updates.
Support the maintenance of the relevant OCHA Ukraine platforms and social media accounts in English, Russian, and Ukrainian, including the development of visual assets and preparation of content for the above-mentioned channels by:
- Coordinating the development of social media strategy as well as subsequent action plans;
- Supervising the development of social media campaigns and/or adaptation of global campaigns to the national context;
- Preparing weekly social media plan with suggested posts and visual assets;
- Monitoring the effectiveness of social media campaigns and suggesting ways to improve the reach and engagement;
- Supporting the maintenance of UNOCHA Ukraine corporate web site, the Ukraine Humanitarian Fund page, the Ukraine Digital Situation Report site and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter) through collecting information and drafting posts, with regular and up-to-date information about field operations and the humanitarian situation on the ground;
- Preparing visual assets for various platforms, including pictures with quotes, simple infographics, short videos with subtitles, etc.;
- Carrying out any other responsibilities as requested by the Supervisor.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on effective reporting and dissemination of information on the humanitarian issues and response. Maximum professionalism and added capacity in supporting the implementation of UNOCHA Ukraine work plan in regard to public information and reporting work are ensured.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of current events, internal policies, processes and procedures related to communication, production and dissemination of respective reports via multiple platforms, including social media; ability to research information from a variety of sources; ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources; ability to identify relevant issues, opportunities and risks in an international environment; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Leadership and Self-Management: remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure; responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views; focuses on result for the client;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues; analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in public relations, media, journalism, international relations, political science, humanitarian action, international development, human geography, sociology or other field related to the post description. Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of relevant experience can be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Two years of relevant professional experience in media, communications, reporting or another relevant field.
- Excellent drafting skills and high competence in data collection, compilation, and analysis is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office software packages is required.
- Good knowledge and experience in handling of content management systems (such as Drupal, Joomla and/or Wordpress) is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of graphic/layout and video software (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere) is desirable.
- Familiarity with the UN system and previous experience with a multilateral or international organization will be an asset.
Fluent command of written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 25/03/2020
If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please visit UNDP website, section jobs and apply online: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=29580&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2