Офіс ООН з Координації Гуманітарних Питань в Україні запрошує кваліфікованих і досвідчених українських спеціалістів подавати заявки на посаду фахівця зі зв'язків з громадськістю (Public Information and Language Associate).
UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. UNOCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Public Information Officer, Public Information and Language Associate will be working as part of the Coordination Support & PI/Reporting Unit and closely collaborating with the colleagues from the Information Management Unit as well as with respective field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the development and production of communications products/services with minimal supervision;
- Collaborates substantively on publication designed to promote knowledge and understanding of and to build support for UN system and activities, to include delivery of discrete components of the unit’s work programme in mass media (e.g. newspapers, TV, radio, internet, etc.);
- Develops and maintains relationships with media and other official (e.g. NGOs, local community and government leaders, educational institutions, other UN agencies, etc.);
- Informs media and other key partners of significant developments, events, press conferences, etc.; ensures the availability of copies of press releases and other key documents and information products;
- Maintains constant contact with key offices, reviews relevant documents, reports, press releases, etc. to gather information and keeps abreast of the timing and substance of key meetings, events, speeches, activities, etc.;
- Provides high-quality written translation between Russian/Ukrainian/English of different documents, including media sources, letters, reports, legislation, Information Management products etc.;
- Supports with interpretation from Russian/Ukrainian/English into English/Ukrainian/Russian at the meetings;
- Prepares briefs on assigned topics for senior officers; responds, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of routine questions and information requests on OCHA activities from the press, constituents and other parties; as appropriate forwards questions/requests to relevant parties for reply; drafts letters and official memoranda on a range of subjects;
- Researches, compiles and presents information from a variety of sources; including reviewing current events and news related to OCHA work locally and globally identifying items of interest for the Organization on the country level;
- Supports organization of various coordination, communication and information events on the national level (e.g., missions to the conflict-affected area for journalists, photographers/videographers; conferences; briefings; exhibitions; press conferences; events on the occasion of international days such as World Humanitarian Day, etc.); provides support before, during and after meetings/missions, including agendas, invitations and minutes; handles logistics with essential services. Manages OCHA photo/video archive and ensures consistency of file names and easy navigation;
- Provides support to the production of film/video or radio programmes, narration texts and elements to be edited, etc.; assisting in the writing of narrations, short articles, summary excerpts, etc., overseeing the production of language translations/adaptations and ensuring cost effectiveness, etc.
- Occasionally performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results:
Results Expected: Demonstrates timely and effective support in communicating/disseminating key information on OCHA activities and/or in overseeing key production services. Reliable research work and monitoring of current events and developments affecting UN and OCHA activities. Uses initiative in the identification and resolution of issues/problems. Consistently applies appropriate policies, guidelines and procedures. Uses good judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive issues. Effectively and in a timely manner, liaises and interacts with colleagues and concerned parties at the highest levels internally and externally.
Impact of Results: Key results have an impact on the efficiency of the OCHA’s office work. Timely and effective support with research, monitoring, analysis and presentation of information strengthen the capacity of OCHA to act on the new developments and respond to them in an appropriate manner as well as helps increase the profile of the UN as a reliable partner.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrating corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education. Undergraduate university degree in International Relations, Communications, Philology, Linguistics, or related field is desired but is not a requirement.
- 7 years (with secondary education) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible experience in communications, translation, interpretation or language support in Ukrainian, Russian and English is required;
- Experience in drafting specialized texts in English and ability to adapt the texts for different target audiences is required;
- Working experience in international organizations, UN agencies and/or INGOs/NGOs will be a strong asset;
- Experience of work in the humanitarian field will be an asset;
- Experience in providing interpretation for national and international events is desired;
- Strong experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is required;
- Experience of use of specialized translation software is desired.
Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS is 14/11/2019 If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please visit UNDPwebsite, section jobs and apply online. More information and application details: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=27042&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2