UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Specialist on Engineering and Construction.
Under the overall supervision of the Technical Specialist (Recovery and Peacebuilding), the Specialist on Engineering and Construction will be responsible for managing all activities related to construction and rehabilitation of key infrastructure based on the principles of universal design and gender-inclusiveness.
- Facilitate needs assessments and consultations with respective government and non-government partners, including women and men in local communities; determine renovation plans following the Programme objectives and tasks” that meet the needs of all people regardless of their sex, age, or disability.
- Coordinate setting up of an infrastructure reconstruction plan in close cooperation with the local authorities and local business;
- Ensure preparation of engineering design based on the universal design principles, cost estimates and drawings of economic infrastructure facilities by using services of qualified and competitive local engineering design companies;
- Facilitate the procurement of goods and services for civil works to be conducted in transparent, competitive, and conflict-sensitive manner as well as in line with UNDP bidding procedures;
- Provide support to construction/renovation of such vital infrastructure facilities as energy and water supply systems; road, bridges and transportation system; supply chains; equipment manufacturing and other production facilities, educational and accommodation facilities of VET institutions in targeted areas;
- Monitor the field activities, including supervision of construction and installation works and participate in acceptance of such renovated/reconstructed vital infrastructure facilities as energy and water supply systems; road, bridges and transportation system; supply chain; equipment manufacturing and other production facilities; educational and accommodation facilities of VET institutions in targeted areas to ensure the Programme results are delivered;
- Keep records related to completed construction and installation works and prepare necessary data for reporting on the implementation of construction works;
- Take measures to prevent and eliminate defects and make proposals on most efficient use of available resources;
- Monitor contract schedules, the appropriate volume, timing and quality of construction and installation works, as well as quality of materials and designs according to the approved design and estimate documentation, drawings, construction regulations and requirements, technical specifications and safety and environmental standards;
- Contribute to preparation of necessary technical documentation;
- Ensure handover of the renovated/reconstructed infrastructures to the relevant authorities for operation and maintenance.
Provide support for efficient and effective delivery of the programme activities:
- Prepare annual, quarterly, and detailed implementation work plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the component activities;
- Prepare specifications, tender documents, ToRs and other supportive documents to procure goods and services in line with Programme objectives and tasks;
- Ensure procedures are in place for a selection of vendors (consultants, suppliers and construction companies) through transparent and competitive processes for provision of services;
- Ensure the Programme activities are implemented timely and efficiently in close cooperation with respective governmental organizations;
- On a constant basis maintain coordination/partnership with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national level and regional levels to increase positive impact of the mutual results on targeted areas that respond to the needs of women and men from different groups, including those with disabilities;
- Monitor field activities and provide technical support to ensure the Programme objectives are met;
- Check and provide certification of satisfactory completion of works of consultants, suppliers and construction companies for payment for their completed works. Ensure budget for the component is efficiently and properly utilized based on the principles of gender-responsive budgeting.
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Management, Architecture or other related fields. Post-graduate degree in relevant fields will be considered as an advantage;
- At least 3 years of experience in designing and managing civil engineering projects, in the field of civil engineering projects and/or economic infrastructure and/or urban development/renewal programmes or other related field;
- Experience in the field of engineering supervision with valid certification will be considered an advantage;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into recovery and IDPs as well as economic development issues at the national and sub-national levels will be considered as advantage;
- Familiarity with UNDP bidding procedures for procurement of civil works and services will be considered as an advantage;
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian and English is required.
This is a locally recruited position and no expatriation benefits will apply.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 6 November 2019.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please visit UNDP in Ukraine website, section Jobs and apply online:
UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.