The Norwegian Refugee Council looking for an ICLA Legal Research Assistant in our office in Kyiv.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
We are looking for an ICLA Legal Research Assistant in our office in Kyiv.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of HLP TWG activities according to plan of action, promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Contribute to identification of protection risks and needs in the context of the HLP Technical Working Group
- Provide secretarial support such as typing, takings minutes, drafting letters, etc.
- Conduct research on various issues relevant to the work of ICLA, and in particular with regards to Housing, Land and Property Rights, both as per International Law and the national legislation of Ukraine
- Contribute to formulating legal analysis and positions as requested
- Attend meetings, keep records thereof and report on the discussions and processes (if relevant)
- Monitor and analyse the political, legal, social and economic environment and identify key legal and political trends and other protection concerns affecting the conflict-affected population, including IDPs
- Support the coordination of the HLP TWG by managing core information tools and services including collecting, processing, integration, storing and publishing relevant documents and data on housing, land and property issues in Ukraine
- Assist in managing HLP TWG-related content on relevant web platforms and provide overall quality control for the platform and ensure content is current, comprehensive and follows relevant standards
- Provide support to HLP TWG in the preparation of meeting minutes, reports, background materials and other relevant documents, Power Point presentations, etc.
- Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the ICLA PDM/PM and by the HLP TWG Coordinator.
- Proven competence in research and analytical writing
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to collect, process and analyze qualitative and quantitative data to inform legal research
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Good knowledge of the political, legal and humanitarian context in Ukraine, and in particular, eastern Ukraine
- Knowledge of the software programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and content management applications
- Graduate degree in Law, International Law or another relevant field.
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Multi-tasking and coping well with change
- Flexibility and creative thinking
- Timely planning and delivery of results
- Autonomy and ability to work under minimum supervision
- Willingness to acquire new knowledge and experience
Contract period: till the end of 2019 with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC country policy, medical insurance, training opportunities
Duty station: Kyiv, Ukraine.
Please note that we will contact only with shortlisted candidates.