UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Engineering Specialist (key expert) to support the implementation of the EIB Technical Assistance Project (TA) under the RPP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager/Team Leader of the EIB-TA Project under the RPP, the Engineering Specialist will be responsible for providing technical support on various aspects of engineering and related technical issues to regional and local government clients. Specifically, s/he will perform the following key tasks:
- Support regions and final beneficiaries (municipalities, other public bodies in target regions) to fine-tune needs assessment that takes into account different experiences and needs of women and men, establish priorities and identify specific early recovery projects;
- Provide expert advice on recovery options: repair, rehabilitation, reconstruction, upgrading, etc.;
- Provide support, as required, to municipalities and other public bodies (particularly those lacking proper construction and procurement sections) on project design and engineering, due diligence (social and environmental compliance with gender equality considerations), procurement, etc.;
- Develop gender-responsive procedures and criteria for identification of priority needs of communities;
- Facilitate the establishment of infrastructure plan in close consultations with the local authorities and communities;
- Facilitate selected direct administration procedures and verify compliance with standard costs;
- Identify simple project milestones for each scheme, and collaborate with Programme Implementation Unit (PIU) and Programme Management and Support Unit (PMSU) in following it up;
- Prepare guidelines, provide advisory to final beneficiaries and assess adequacy of operations for repair projects;
- Manage the preliminary feasibility studies of identified social infrastructures; prepare Request for Proposal (RFP) for engineering design works, and Terms of Reference for consultants that include clear indicators for gender equality, and the promotion of a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behavior;
- Ensure the engineering design for restoration of critical infrastructures are prepared based on universal design and gender equality principles;
- Oversight that the procurement of goods and services for civil works are conducted in transparent, competitive, and conflict-sensitive manner as well as in line with UNDP bidding procedures;
- Facilitate the process of construction/renovation of social care infrastructures in target areas;
- Monitor the field activities, including oversight of re/construction of critical infrastructures, and provide technical support to ensure the Project results are delivered;
- Provide technical advisory support to the line Ministries, local authorities and other relevant stakeholders on engineering and reconstruction of critical infrastructure;
- Prepare annual, quarterly, and detailed implementation work plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the TA activities;
- Closely work with respective governmental organizations to ensure the TA activities are implemented on timely and efficiently;
- Ensure coordination with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national and regional levels for mutually reinforcing impact;
- Monitor the field activities and provide technical support to ensure the Project objectives are met;
- Check and provide certification of satisfactory completion of works of consultants or IPs for payment of their completed works. Ensure budget for the TA is efficiently and properly utilized;
- Maintain close liaison with national and regional project partners, ensuring optimum participation and promoting ownership of national authorities in the implementation of the Project;
- Develop the professional platform for networking and partnership building with the national and local authorities, non-government, private sector and international development organizations or projects;
- Participate in relevant working group meetings and share information with partners and UNDP;
- Participate in local inspection visits;
- Contribute to preparation and implementation of the Project communications strategy and plan;
- Ensure full compliance of TA project activities with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Prepare sections of the project reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Assure that due security measures are observed during implementation of the TA activities;
- Carry on activities requested by the Project Manager.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in civil engineering, architecture or related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in project engineering design and/or supervision working with municipal and social infrastructure projects and/or urban development/renewal programmes or related field, preferably with international financial institutions (IFIs) funding;
- Work experience in projects financed by international donors with specific aspects of transport, energy and energy efficiency, urban renewal/rehabilitation, rehabilitation of public buildings (hospitals, schools, social centres, etc.) would be an advantage;
- Experience in development and implementation of complex and geographically diversified capital investment projects, in the field of Project formulation and design, in a range of infrastructure sector areas, particularly in multi-sector, multi- project infrastructure programmes, in leading mid-term and/or ex-post evaluation of Projects would be an advantage;
- Substantial experience in monitoring and evaluation of Projects involving various infrastructure sectors, in multi-sector urban and/or regional development programmes (social infrastructure, energy, water, waste, transport, etc.) and knowledge of current best practice in procurement, tendering and contract management would be an advantage;
- Experience working with EU/EIB procurement procedures in developing/transition country contexts (may be supplemented with training), experience with EIB environmental and social standards would be an advantage.
- Fluent English, Ukrainian and Russian.
This is a locally recruited position and no expatriation benefits will apply.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 16 August 2019.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please visit UNDP in Ukraine website, section Jobs and apply online:
UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.