DRA is looking for a Finance and Compliance Manager for the DRA Resource Center in Slоviansk (Donetsk oblast), opening in September 2019.
DRA is looking for a Finance and Compliance Manager for the DRA Resource Center in Slоviansk (Donetsk oblast), opening in September 2019. The appointment will be from 1 September 2019 until 31 August 2020 with a possibility of multi-year extension, depending on available further project funding. A full-time commitment (40h/week) is preferred.
Background: The civil society in Eastern Ukraine is in a state of flux since the outbreak of the ongoing conflict in this region in 2014. DRA sees active grass-roots networks and well-working horizontal structures in communities as a prerequisite for building a sustainable and democratic society. The DRA Resource Center received funding from the German Federal Foreign office to support active citizens – and particularly young people – in Sloviansk and other cities in the conflict region by providing them with educational and development opportunities, supporting grass-roots initiatives aimed at community development, and by providing international exchange. The center will facilitate local civil society development by strengthening active citizens and civic initiatives with capacity building, communication and exchanges with activists from EU countries and other regions of Ukraine.
The main areas of activity of the Resource Center in Sloviansk will be
- Supporting the efficient and sustainable development of local civic initiatives, their networks and collaborative projects;
- Strengthening the engagement of international civil society actors with the region, including conflict management efforts;
- Organising educational/ volunteer and professional exchanges between civil society and youth from different regions in Ukraine;
- Encouraging public debates on local democracy, and other topics of importance for the local population;
- Contributing to the process of reconciliation;
- Dealing with local history and culture;
- Fostering local human rights work.
The Finance and Compliance Officer has a key role to play within the small team in delivering and supporting high-quality financial assurance and compliance of DRA’s programmes and projects in East Ukraine. S/he will be responsible for the office’s economy, and compliance with DRA’s and donors’ financial and admin procedures and policies.
- Support the Director of the Office with financial planning, management and control of expenditures in full compliance with the Ukrainian law, and with DRA’s and donors’ financial and administrative procedures;
- Communication with project partners and external service providers;
- Design and review contracts in line with DRA’s and donors’ financial and administrative procedures;
- Contribute to managing financial relationships with Implementing Partners (e.g. regarding compliance and audit aspects);
- Contribute to compiling, and checking project-related financial, logistics, administrative, Human Resources, and programme information;
- Review documentation for compliance with DRA’s and donors’ financial and administrative procedures;
- Undertake accounting, record keeping, monitoring and tracking of funding resources, transactions and project expenditure;
- Assist in reviewing/completing reports for donors according to donor guidelines;
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring compliance to Ukrainian law; developing related practices for the Resource Center;
- Overall responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data, and ensuring that accounting practices, financial procedures and processes are in place;
- Working closely with Program teams on project financial management and other related financial issues;
- Perform other related activities as assigned by the Director.
- Experience in financial administration of projects, in particular budget planning, management and documentation;
- 2-4 years previous work experience in a relevant position;
- Good familiarity with relevant Ukrainian law and regulations;
- Experience in project work (preferably in the civil society sector and with public funds) and in event management (seminars, conferences, panel discussions, etc.);
- Motivation and joy in working with complex budgets;
- Profound Microsoft Office – particularly Excel – skills, experience with accounting software;
- Experience with finance management of international donors; working with German donors is a competitive advantage.
- Strong accounting and financial management skills;
- Good communication, social and team-work skills;
- Diligence, independence, initiative, punctuality;
- Reliable and careful handling of numbers, receipts, and documents, documentation;
- Ability to work well and under pressure.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree/ diploma in a relevant field;
- A proven interest in supporting civil society and in fostering international cooperation;
- Advanced level of English language skills, fluent written and spoken Russian and Ukrainian, German language skills would be an advantage;
- Experience or knowledge in subject areas of the project (development, conflict management, civil society, human rights monitoring) are welcome.
About the organisation: DRA is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Berlin, working since 1992 with the aim of promoting democratic developments in East European countries through cooperation with Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, and other European NGOs, with independent mass media and in cross-sectoral cooperation. The DRA offers youth and other exchange programs in the field of political education, democracy and active citizenship and works to establish links with Western partners. Moreover, the DRA acts as an agency for volunteers between Eastern and Western Europe.
The DRA offers a multi-faceted, flexible and international working environment in a young and dynamic team, a competitive salary, and a lot of space for your own ideas. For more information, see: www.austausch.org
Please send your applications (cover letter and CV) as a single PDF document (no larger than 2MB) by 30 July 2019 to email@example.com
Interviews will take place in Slоviansk, Ukraine, in the week from 30 July to 3 August 2019.
Tel: +49(0)30/44 66 80 00
Fax: +49(0)30/44 66 80 10