Chemonics International Inc., an international development consulting firm, seeks a highly-qualified Ukrainian professional to fulfill the role of short-term Judiciary Policy Reform and Analysis Expert as part of the USAID Nove Pravosuddya Justice Sector Reform Program in Ukraine (New Justice). The USAID New Justice Program is designed to support the Judiciary, the Government, the Parliament, the Bar, Law Schools, Civil Society, Media and Citizens to create the conditions for an independent, accountable, transparent, and effective justice system that upholds the rule of law and to fight corruption in Ukraine.
Judiciary Policy Reform and Analysis Expert
Position Summary: The Judiciary Policy Reform and Analysis Expert will be seconded to work in and for the Administration of the President of Ukraine (Administration) Anti-Corruption, Justice and Law Enforcement Reform Support Team. The core role of the expert will be to assist the Administration with a variety of justice sector reform policy matters. This assignment is expected to begin in mid-June 2019 and continue through December 2019 for a maximum of 150 working days. The expert will work and be based within the Administration.
Responsibilities: In cooperation with and under the supervision of the USAID New Justice Program, and at the request of the Administration, the expert will:
- Analyze and develop reports, briefing papers, and recommendations on the current status and effectiveness of judicial reform efforts;
- Develop both short- and long-term recommendations on improving the independence, accountability, integrity, and effectiveness of judicial institutions in consultation with Ukrainian and international stakeholders;
- Analyze the legal and regulatory framework for the judiciary as it relates to international and European standards and best practices, developing reports, briefing papers, and recommendations on how such standards and practices can be applied in Ukraine;
- Support the drafting of legislation, normative acts, and/or other legal instruments regarding the judiciary;
- Liaise with international donors and organizations supporting judicial reform activities and provide the Administration with relevant out-briefs;
- Support and participate in USAID New Justice Program and Administration-organized judicial reform events;
- Assist the USAID New Justice Program in monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on progress achieved by the Administration in implementing planned activities to promote and strengthen reform of the judiciary.
- Degree in law, social sciences or other relevant fields from a university in Ukraine.
- Five years of experience related to designing, implementing and/or evaluating legal and judicial reform activities.
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex projects and initiatives.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Fluency in Ukrainian required; working knowledge of English preferred.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills.
Application Instructions: Please send a CV and a brief cover letter in Ukrainian or English to email@example.com. Please include “Judiciary Policy Reform and Analysis Expert”
in the subject line. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: June 21, 2018, 18:00 Kyiv Time