Chemonics International Inc. is looking for a qualified professional to fill the position of Environmental Compliance Specialist. Deadline - June 14, 2019.
Chemonics seeks qualified specialists for the USAID Ukraine Democratic Governance East (DG East) Activity. The five-year USAID Democratic Governance East Activity (DG East) aims to strengthen the connection and trust between citizens and their government in eastern Ukraine by promoting an inclusive civic identity, common civic value and a unified Ukraine by addressing the divisive impacts of Russia’s aggression, cases of far-right Ukrainian nationalism, and the consequences of ongoing armed conflict through increased citizen participation, improved service delivery and more responsive governance. DG East’s purpose is to “strengthen the connection and trust between citizens and their government in eastern Ukraine” and methodology is to (1) develop greater acceptance of a shared civic culture based on common values and understandings, and (2) increase participation to improve Ukraine’s governance and reform processes and help to resolve community problems. DG East will provide opportunities for citizens to engage with their government, provide government with resources to support their citizens, and create opportunities for citizens of Ukraine to create hope in their future and positive changes in their daily lives. The position will be based in Kramatorsk.
Purpose of Assignment
The Environmental Compliance Specialist will manage the DG East environmental review system, ensuring compliance with 22 CFR 216 requirements, the IEE recommendations, and Ukrainian environmental laws and regulations.
The Environmental Compliance Specialist will work with the DG East technical, grants, subcontracts, and procurement teams to complete all required environmental screening for each planned project activity. He/she will assure that environmental mitigation and monitoring plans are prepared and implemented for all project activities where required.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Liaising with USAID staff to understand their expectations of DG East’s environmental compliance requirements;
- Developing and managing DG East environmental review system to put in place safeguards to eliminate the potential for adverse environmental impact;
- Conducting environmental assessments with an environmental compliance checklist and developing environmental mitigation and monitoring plans for DG East grants based on USAID and Ukrainian environmental standards and requirements;
- Working with the DG East technical, grants, subcontracts, and procurement teams to prepare and implement required environmental compliance documentation for each planned and implemented activity as necessary;
- Reviewing DG East’s partner organizations’ reports to ensure they are in compliance with the requirements defined in their tailored Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plans.
- Monitoring activities implemented under the project, including site visits to ensure compliance and preparation of environmental reports.
- University degree in related field required.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in environmental compliance required, with preference for USAID-funded project management experience.
- Strong understanding of USAID regulations related environmental compliance for USAID contracts as well as general best practices in Ukraine.
- Excellent technical knowledge and demonstrated experience in assessing infrastructural activities and social mobilization activities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including ability to work effectively at all levels with USAID
- Demonstrated ability to manage, train, and build the capacity of local staff.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good judgment that reflects positively on the DG East program.
- Fluent Ukrainian, English and Russian required.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to ukraineDGeastrecruit@chemonics.com WITH THE SUBJECT LINE: ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST by June 14, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis, and only finalists will be contacted.
“Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.”