Успішні кандидати надаватимуть технічну підтримку й консультації інфраструктурному підрозділу операційного центру ЮНОПС в Україні.
Більше можливостей для працевлаштування у розділі «Вакансії»
Design Practitioner Engineer/ Інженер-проектувальник
Job categories Engineering
Vacancy code VA/2019/B5116/17922
Department/office ECR, EOC, Ukraine
Duty station Home based
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-10
Duration Retainer up to 100 working days
Application period 15-May-2019 to 16-Jun-2019
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS Office in Ukraine Background
In response to the request of the Government of Ukraine and further to the meeting between the President of Ukraine and UNOPS Executive Director on 15 May 2016 the United Nations Office for Project Services concluded an Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the UNOPS on the opening of the UNOPS Office in Ukraine. The Agreement was signed on 22 November 2016.
According to the Agreement the UNOPS Office in Ukraine is to provide a broad spectrum of services to the Government and people of Ukraine including but not limited to infrastructure, procurement, contracting, recruitment and administration, implementation of technical assistance, humanitarian and investment projects that are funded by the Government, international organizations, local communities, foreign governments and non-for-profit organizations, international financial institutions, UN Agencies and alike.
UNOPS Office in Ukraine has a varied portfolio of projects including infrastructure project management support to partners and management of partner personnel projects with UN agencies in the region. The scope of assignment will include the management of the construction and design stages with several contractor/s for the construction/refurbishment of multiple sites, as well as fit out and installation of all equipment and furniture.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Design Practitioner Engineer is home-based retainer in Ukraine to provide services ensuring smooth implementation of the engineering design works within ongoing and developing projects. The Design Practitioner Engineer will provide technical support and advice to UNOPS Ukraine (UAOC Infrastructure Unit). She/he will perform architectural, structural, civil, networks designs and analyses for buildings and structures in accordance with design specifications and guidelines and manage production of contract documents including plans, specifications, quantities, and cost estimates. She/he will also be responsible for overseeing design components on site and off-site supervision.
She/he will be expected to work independently on various projects as assigned by the Senior Engineer including overseeing the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. The Design Practitioner Engineer may work on several concurrent projects, serve as a field engineer during construction and/or participate in business development preparations, presentations and efforts.
The Design Practitioner Engineer will plan and develop engineering projects which may be characterized by unique or complex challenges. This may involve frequent field travels, exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection identification of unique problems for investigation, and development of novel concepts and approaches.
Functions/Key Results Expected:
- General design development/Specialized design development, Feasibility study/needs Assessment
- Construction Supervision
- Knowledge Management
1. General design development, Specialized design development, Feasibility study/needs Assessment
- Prepare corresponding structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing drawings in standard scales.
- Review and contribute to Contractor’s Quality Health and Safety, Social and Environment plans and ensure its compliance.
- Develop technical specifications, bills of quantities and cost for tender’s documentation.
- Analyze configurations of the basic structural components of buildings and civil structures; to do structural analysis calculations, considering the selected materials.
- Plan, design and develop building structures and facilities; prepare calculations, models, charts and graphs; and create construction drawings and design specifications including use computers and computer-aided design (CAD) technology for simulation purposes.
- Review the requirements for construction of different facilities and develop them into a design brief.
- Review and update technical standards, office procedures, construction techniques, and use of materials to ensure that specifications and schemes prepared by UNOPS Ukraine reflect best practices with continuous improvement.
- Recommend process to out-source design when required.
- Outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required.
- Review designs produced internally and out-sourced.
- Carry out site assessments and develop site layout plans.
2. Construction Supervision
- Support Senior Engineer in the planning, organization and oversight of site investigations, surveys and analyses of existing buildings, feasibility studies, structural inspections and assessments and preparation of associated reports. Examine structures at risk of collapse and advise on how to improve their structural integrity, such as recommending removal or repair of defective parts or rebuilding the entire structure. Oversee third parties undertaking investigations for UNOPS Ukraine and work with geotechnical engineers to investigate ground conditions and analyze results of soil sample and in-situ tests.
- Liaise with other designers, to agree on safe designs and their fit with the aesthetic concept of the construction.
- Assess the requirements of new/potential projects, breaking them into tasks, and working to determine scope of work, budget and staffing including writing scope of work for design based on preliminary review and meetings with the potential partners and/or donors.
- Provide required technical advice and inputs to internal and external reports.
- Participate in the planning of the construction activities when the designs are approved.
- Adhere use of and participate in development of UNOPS design standards/manuals working with country code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Engineer in the agreed timeframe.
3. Knowledge Management
- Provide training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Design Practitioner Engineer directly impacts the successful delivery of the ongoing projects on time, budget and quality according to the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Advanced university Degree (Master or equivalent), in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Building
- OR technical/professional diploma in Civil Engineering (Bachelors or equivalent) in combination with 2 additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Certified/Registered Practicing Design Engineer as per Ukrainian Legislation is required.
- A minimum 5 years of experience as a practicing design engineer is required.
- Experience in the performance of technical status, tests reports and building structural assessment is a strong asset.
- Knowledge of Revit, ETABS, STAAD Pro, Lira is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in a CAD software is required.
- Project Management knowledge and skills would be considered as an asset.
- Fluency in Russian and Ukrainian is required.
- Working knowledge of English is required.