Моніторингова місія ООН з прав людини шукає Communications Intern.
Background: The UNDP internship programme offers an outstanding graduate-level students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to the development issues and a first-hand impression of the day-to-day working environment of UNDP. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various professional aspects. Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP.
Objective of the internship: Based in Kyiv, the intern is expected to assist the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU) to develop and strengthen the whole range of communications activities, focusing on media and social media campaigns around the launch of public reports, Human Rights Day and other relevant dates.
The intern will obtain an excellent opportunity to deepen his/her knowledge about the UN operations in Ukraine, communications strategy on social and sensitive issues, human rights work in the field and ways to convey complex legal issues in simple messages.
Organizational context: This internship is located with the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU). In March 2014, at the invitation of the Government of Ukraine and in response to developments in the country, the UN Secretary-General deployed a human rights monitoring team. HRMMU monitors, reports and advocates on the human rights situation in Ukraine with a special focus on the east and Crimea, and the issue of accountability. As the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine escalated, the HRMMU has additionally engaged in protection, advocacy and capacity building throughout the country, including in areas directly affected by the conflict. HRMMU has offices in Kyiv, Donetsk, Mariupol, Kharkiv, Kramatorsk, Luhansk and Odesa. Human rights monitoring for Crimea is done by the teams based in Kyiv and Odesa.
Duties and responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Communications Officer, the intern’s duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in developing a content calendar for HRMMU official account on Facebook.
- Prepare and edit (using photo- and video-editing software) multimedia materials relating to the human rights situation in Ukraine, and aimed at raising awareness about HRMMU activities, both in Kyiv and in the field offices.
- Conducting media and social media monitoring; preparing overview of HRMMU media coverage; collect the best examples of human rights promotion in media and social media;
- Cooperate with HRMMU field presences to collect photos and feature stories;
- Assist in drafting, editing and/or translation of articles, feature stories, captions for photo galleries and other types of materials about HRMMU activities or relevant human rights issues;
- Maintain database of contacts (including media, external counterparts, donors, government and NGO partners);
- Maintain up-to-date photo bank of pictures from HRMMU field activities, meetings, seminars, and other events
- Assist with maintaining stock of HRMMU visibility materials
- Other tasks as required
Required skills and experience:
- Enrolled student of graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Journalism, Communication, Media, International relations, Political science, Law or related field; or
- Enrolled student in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in Journalism, Communication, Media, International relations, Political science, Law or related field; or
- Graduate student within one-year of graduation of any of the above.
- Intermediate photography and/or filming skills.
- Additional technical skills are desirable, including proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or photo-editing software and movie-editing software such as Adobe Premier
- No professional work experience is required for participation in the Internship Programme.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Ukrainian and Russian is required for the internship.
- Translation skills are an asset. Proven interest in human rights issues is an asset.
Please apply on the UN web-page: